PowerDNS module

niels

Would anyone be interested in a PowerDNS module?

I made one for my own use, but with some small changes I could publish it.

Current feature set:

- Zone creation/removal through Admin area (1 product instance manages 1 domain.)

- Editing records within the zone through the Client area.

- IDN support.

- Beta quality (it works for me, but not too many domains use it yet.)

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, thanks.

Any instructions on how to enable it?

I would guess we just go to Setup -> Servers -> Add New Server & give it the details for the powerdns node?

I haven't gone that far yet just asking for clarification. Thanks!

for those who aren't using the debian/ubuntu package manager, if you want to install the idn module for php just do:

pecl install idn-0.2.0

Keep in mind that it's still considered a "beta" extension and read the instructions for adding the line to your php.ini file

This module seems quite interesting. So far I've only read the code and not actually installed it, so bear with me if my question dosen't totally make sense. I want to try and understand things before we install it.

This module needs to be set up as a 'product / service'. That would mean:

- You'd have to set up the product / service as free unless you wanted to actually charge for DNS management?

- The client would potentially see the domain twice under products / services (once for the hosting account and once for DNS management)?

Thanks

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Niels

I have WHMCS 4.2.1 installed on debian and powerdns on debian on separate servers. I followed the installation discussion in the forum since there's no instruction yet.

I copied the code from your post

https://my.anuson.com/modules/server.../powerdns.phps

then create the server module "powerdns"

Installed the idn by using apt-get install idn.

Since I'm not sure if php5-idn is needed so I installed it also.

I did it to both whmcs and powerdns server.

I add the powerdns under products/services and verified the Module settings for the powerdns server.

When I added a new order and I got the following error.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function idn_to_ascii() in /var/www/whmcs/modules/servers/powerDNS/powerDNS.php on line 25

Please advise.

Thanks for your help.

Charles

Edited by ckung

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sloop,

After I modified it, I got the following error.

Fatal error: Call to a member function escape_string() on a non-object in /var/www/whmcs/modules/servers/powerDNS/powerDNS.php on line 35

I also tried to change

$query = "SELECT id FROM domains WHERE name='".$this->db->escape_string($this->domain_idn)."'";

to

$query = "SELECT id FROM domains WHERE name='".$this->db->escape_string($this->domain)."'";

Thanks for your help!

Hi Guys,

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff, i've created the php file and installed idn however where do i add the module do i put it under the admin directory in modules? (in it's own directory of course).

Nick

Hi Sloop,

After I modified it, I got the following error.

Fatal error: Call to a member function escape_string() on a non-object in /var/www/whmcs/modules/servers/powerDNS/powerDNS.php on line 35

I also tried to change

$query = "SELECT id FROM domains WHERE name='".$this->db->escape_string($this->domain_idn)."'";

to

$query = "SELECT id FROM domains WHERE name='".$this->db->escape_string($this->domain)."'";

Thanks for your help!

i didn't get that error but my guess is that the domain you setup for this module doesn't already exist in your powerdns database. i tested with an existing domain and existing records already in db.

i'd recommend learning the basics of powerdns w/ mysql first.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

We have created this module and every thing works perfect.

All the domains are save in the table Domain.

In the WHCMS the domainname is save in table TBLDomains.

Here is a confilct. So when a domain is registrart with WHCMS the domainname is saved in TBLDomeins and i can't see this with Power DNS.

Furter the system works perfect only with the above mentioned issieu you need to mannually help this module to get it to work.

Regards,

Saban

Would anyone be interested in a PowerDNS module?

I made one for my own use, but with some small changes I could publish it.

Current feature set:

- Zone creation/removal through Admin area (1 product instance manages 1 domain.)

- Editing records within the zone through the Client area.

- IDN support.

- Beta quality (it works for me, but not too many domains use it yet.)

Hi,

We have created this module and every thing works perfect.

All the domains are save in the table Domain.

In the WHCMS the domainname is save in table TBLDomains.

Here is a confilct. So when a domain is registrart with WHCMS the domainname is saved in TBLDomeins and i can't see this with Power DNS.

Furter the system works perfect only with the above mentioned issieu you need to mannually help this module to get it to work.

Regards,

Saban

• 1 year later...