How to keep custom files while upgrading?

nimonogi

Hello,

I'm new to whmcs and i need some assistance... :)

I have modify whmcs portal (/templates/portal) templates, language file (English.txt) and add some custom pages.

I have installed v4.0.3 and now i see that v4.1 is available as a beta version. If i upgrade to 4.1 all my modifications and addons will be lost (or not?).

Whats the best way to keep my custom files intact while in the mid-time upgrading whmcs from version to version?

Thanks in advance.

If you don't want any changes making to your portal template, you could just not upload it, then if you check the changelog in the Wiki you'll be able to see which templates need upgrading and you'd then be able to go through them one by one.

Or you could just rename your /templates/portal folder to something else so WHMCS sees it as a new theme, then upload the new portal template that comes with v4.1 for testing purposes.

as did we and that is why what we did was we copied the portal template than renmaed it to let say portal_new uploaded that to the ftp in the templates directory and than went to general settings in admin area and selected portal_new as the template since it is a different template name than standard whmcs nothing would be over written on an upgrade than all you have to do is check the changelog fro the update and see if any portal templates were modified and adjust accordingly with your custom template.

It works best for the templates since WHMCS encrypts most of the PHP files you don't have to worry about those.

I am not 100% sure on Winmerge but I know Araxxis lets you do a folder to folder comparison instead of doing 1 file at a time.

Another is Beyond Compare its basically a middle point between the two mentioned earlier.