steps to change admin folder name

disenioweb

According to this thread you should just be able to rename the admin folder to whatever you like: http://www.whmcs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1880

I just tried it myself and seems to work with no side affects. The only thing I can think of else to do is update your cronjob to use the new admin dir (/<fullpath>/admin/cron.php changed to /<fullpath>/<newdir>/cron.php).

Another step that looks like needing to be changed is the license on WHMCS. My license just said invalid and when looking more closely at the license in WHMCS client area it has a valid folder name for the license. I suspect the license needs to be re-issued after the folder is changed.

After I re-issued my license and changed the license in WHMCS it is working again. Guess I will have to wait a couple days to see if it stays this way.

• 1 year later...

I followed the directions in the help

Change your WHMCS Admin Folder name

Malicious users who visit your site and recognise a WHMCS install will know that they can try logging into your admin area via the admin folder. To protect against this, you can rename the admin folder name to any name you like. You cannot move the folder - only rename it. You can then tell WHMCS what the name of that folder is for the links in admin notification emails by adding the following line to your configuration.php file:

$customadminpath = "myadminname";

But now only the header, top bar menu and side menu load!

I changed it back didn't fix the problem!!!

I followed the directions in the help

But now only the header, top bar menu and side menu load!

I changed it back didn't fix the problem!!!

Make sure you have the path set correctly:

$customadminpath = "/home/user/public_html/whmcs/newadminfolder/";

thanks for the info. The help example needs updated to reflect exactly what is needed. It does show a full path for the moved attachments directory but I didn't put 2 and 2 together.

This all said...my admin side is still not working. I changed everything back to /admin and commented out the $customadminpath line in configuration.php

What's up with that?

$customadminpath does not need to be a full path, that would in fact break it. As far as I'm aware all this setting changes is the link that is emailed out to admins at the bottom of a 'new support ticket opened' email.

• WHMCS Developer
$customadminpath does not need to be a full path, that would in fact break it. As far as I'm aware all this setting changes is the link that is emailed out to admins at the bottom of a 'new support ticket opened' email.

and the return to Admin in the client area when logged in as admin :)

-----

Bitwise. Try clearing your templates_c

Hi

Thanks for the tips all.

I have renamed the admin folder and added $customadminpath = "myadminname"; to the configuartion.php folder.

Do I need to change the cron job command too ? Currently it is set to

php -q /home/XXXXXXXX/public_html/billing/clients/admin/cron.php

Thanks

I have a have tried all possible combinations, without success. My host (& leasing licence) provider assures me they have tried to update the licence, but with no effect.

This was as a result of implementing the fake admin page mod.

the reason for using this mod still exist, so I would not like to remove it.

Any other suggestions?

The link to the new admin folder must be updated also with the license, so the person that is providing your license should be able to apply the new admin folder to the license. Submit a support ticket with Matt and see what he says.

This was as a result of implementing the fake admin page mod.

the reason for using this mod still exist, so I would not like to remove it.

This must be my problem. I also want to keep the fake admin. Waiting on my provider to re-issue my license.