Considering WHMCS, Modernbill Comparison Help?

SwiftModders

Question

Hello,

I am looking at your software and it seems quite nice to work with. However, I am in need of some very important features which I am sure you support or will support.

We currently use Modernbill v4.4 and even though it is powerful, it has bugs and is not as customizable as I want it to be. So let me just get straight to the questions 1 by 1 so I can get some quick answers :)

1. Is WHMCS very customizable, to the point where I can edit templates (including the header and footer) so that it is much more integrated into my design?

2. I currently use FraudGuardian, do you support it (I doubt it) or have something similar to that you offer? Possibly another 3rd party company has a similar product and you support it?

3. On the Fraud topic still, we use Varilogix FraudCall and this is very important to us and must be working with your current or even future builds. Do you support it?

4. We use idevaffiliate for our affiliate program and I need this to be supported as well. Is this possible?

5. Do you have API documentation if we want to make our own order form so it is a little more unique?

6. We know you have a support system and I am sure it is nice and all, but I love Kayako eSupport and I will NOT drop it regardless of how much you guys like the WHMCS one (lol). Can we disable the support system you have and make it completely invisible to our clients or is there anyway Kayako can be integrated?

7. Does your 2checkout module supply recurring 2checkout payments or is there automatic billing at all in WHMCS?

8. vBulletin Integration is not important, but it would be cool to be able to create an account through WHMCS when a client logs in so they have one made. Any chance of this in the future?

9. I HATE Modernbill coupons in 4.4, do your coupons work more flexible for certain billing cycles and products?

10. I really do not have any other questions, but tell me what you find to be better about this software than Modernbill?

Thanks for the answers in advance. Much appreciated.

- John

19 answers to this question

• WHMCS CEO

Hi John,

Thanks for your interest in WHMCS! To answer your questions:

1. Yes, the client area is fully customisable. Each page has its own template and all pages use global header and footer template files.

2. Our latest version of WHMCS, soon to be released as stable, has support for both MaxMind & VariLogiX FraudCall Fraud Verification Systems

4. We don't have any built in support for idevaffiliate as WHMCS has its own built in affiliate system but I presume they provide you with code which you can add into an order form to track orders

5. The templates are the only way to customise the order form currently so the steps must remain the same, anything else can be changed.

6. Yes, it's possible to completely hide all traces of the WHMCS support system from your clients. By simply editing the links to the WHMCS support system and redirecting them to your eSupport system your clients would not ever know of the WHMCS one.

7. Our 2CheckOut module does not support recurring billing. Clients are invoiced when due for payment, all their name + address info is passed to 2CO automatically, all they have to do is enter their CC number each time they are due to pay, and invoices are then automatically marked paid - much easier than manual marking paid with the 2CO recurring system

8. It is possible to add code to create a forum account when a user first signs up in WHMCS

9. The coupons in WHMCS can be set to work with products, addons or domains. They can be either one time or recurring. They can have an expiry date and you can choose which products or addons they apply to. You can also set a maximum number of uses limit.

10. I'll let others answer this one but maybe check out the feedback forum.

Regards,

Matt

Hi John,

Thanks for your interest in WHMCS! To answer your questions:

1. Yes, the client area is fully customisable. Each page has its own template and all pages use global header and footer template files.

2. Our latest version of WHMCS, soon to be released as stable, has support for both MaxMind & VariLogiX FraudCall Fraud Verification Systems

4. We don't have any built in support for idevaffiliate as WHMCS has its own built in affiliate system but I presume they provide you with code which you can add into an order form to track orders

5. The templates are the only way to customise the order form currently so the steps must remain the same, anything else can be changed.

6. Yes, it's possible to completely hide all traces of the WHMCS support system from your clients. By simply editing the links to the WHMCS support system and redirecting them to your eSupport system your clients would not ever know of the WHMCS one.

7. Our 2CheckOut module does not support recurring billing. Clients are invoiced when due for payment, all their name + address info is passed to 2CO automatically, all they have to do is enter their CC number each time they are due to pay, and invoices are then automatically marked paid - much easier than manual marking paid with the 2CO recurring system

8. It is possible to add code to create a forum account when a user first signs up in WHMCS

9. The coupons in WHMCS can be set to work with products, addons or domains. They can be either one time or recurring. They can have an expiry date and you can choose which products or addons they apply to. You can also set a maximum number of uses limit.

10. I'll let others answer this one but maybe check out the feedback forum.

Regards,

Matt

Well then my only issue is idevaffiliate. I just paid for that software and to ditch it is well, a waste. Could you possibly plan on adding this in the future?

- John

The only downside to the affiliate program is that all links point to your main website page, you cant point them to any other site page like for a special offer or something. not a big deal, but then referrals may have to hunt around to find the special deal you have set up unless you use a coupon code.

It would be a nice addition to allow specific pages in the referral links. Maybe we can insert some code on the page we want to refer people to that registers the referral?

I like to have my affiliates referrals reach my site on a page that includes the actual affiliates logo or text about the referring person being a partner etc, so its kind of co-branded.

I spoke with idevaffiliate about integrating their software and this is what they told me.

What do you think Matt and generic?

In order to integrate iDevAffiliate with shopping carts not listed in the automatic integration setup, you’ll probably need to contact the cart developer and ask them if they have a sale confirmation / online invoice page of some sort. This is the page the customer sees after making a purchase. This page needs to have the sale amount and order number present on it (in the form of variables). If you're using your own custom cart or system, the same applies in terms of having a confirmation page with the sale amount and order number visible on it.

Assuming you have a page like one described above, you’re able to integrate with iDevAffiliate.

In the iDevAffiliate admin center, click on Cart Integration, select MANUAL INTEGRATION. On the next page, enter sale_amount and order_number as the two variable names to use. Continue to the next page. This is the Processing Code page. This page has instructions for placing the code into the sale confirmation / online invoice page.

Sincerely,

Jim Webster

iDevDirect Support

http://www.idevdirect.com/

This really stinks, the only thing keeping me from going with you guys is the fact you don't support idevaffiliate. I cannot get a refund and do not wish to waste $100. This is a sad thing.

Why not sell it to someone then? Can you? I know you might feel it was wasted money, but why use it with another billing system when you know you could just use WHMCS and its affiliate system with less headaches? Id rather waste $100 than make a poor business decision.

Fixed: Thanks I fixed that issue, it should be fine now. I am considering making the switch. I am not sure if I can sell the license or if I need to be in contact with idevaffiliate, but I may just hold on to it for future use possibly. So you guys may have another customer as soon as WHMCS v3 is made available. Also, do you guys have a demo up I can look at for v3?

Also when is v4 gonna be released? (This is a joke, ;-))

This really stinks, the only thing keeping me from going with you guys is the fact you don't support idevaffiliate. I cannot get a refund and do not wish to waste $100. This is a sad thing.

I hope you dont misunderstand me when i say recurring wont work, I mean that idevaffiliates recurring system is broke. if you want to use one time payouts for referrals, i think you may actually be able to use idevaffiliate. you just need to see if the variables you need are available when you run "includes/checkoutscript.php".

if you cant get it there, you may be able to put the idevaffiliate code into the order-stepfour template, but then you need to verify a sale because it would be triggering before the sale completes.

or even put it on the order-complete.tpl if the variables are available there.

so you may actually be able to use it with single payment.

Actually, we are probably going to stick with Modernbill...(JUST KIDDING)...we will probably get a license sometime soon, switch over to maxmind, we will keep Kayako and idev, but not use idev for the affiliate process. Is there an importer for your affiliate system? Can people join without being customers? This is very important. Thank you.

Also, do you plan to have Kayako integrated at some point, that would be great, sorry I just really love Kayako and the Instaalert license is great.

I am interested in these two conversation

How can I do that matt one who signs up with whmcs should be automatically

signed up with vbulletin:idea:

Hello,

8. vBulletin Integration is not important, but it would be cool to be able to create an account through WHMCS when a client logs in so they have one made. Any chance of this in the future?

- John

Hi John,

Matt