Invoice création only after paiement recieved possible ?

netswitch

Hello,

Is it possible with whmcs to generate the invoice ONLY after paiment is recieved ?

Because it is a problem for us with customers passing orders they never pay for, thus leaving us with unpaid invoices on which we have to pay 21% of VAT.

What I would like to have is :

-Client passes order

-We validate the order, client recieves mail with the amount to pay

-When we have recieved the payment, order becomes an invoice and account is created.

Is this possible ?

Seems that the VAT administration here in Belgium ask you to pay the VAT even if the invoice is unpaid..

I have an appointment with my accountant to check this.

A solution I have seen with one of our supplier is taht they create a pro froma invoice and it is validated as an invoice only when your paiment is registred.

Billing/tax system is not same everywhere. In our country we have same problem as netswitch. If we wish to use WHMCS for generating valid bills/invoices then system would need to send Pre-Invoice/Quotes and once this is paid then system would send real Invoice with receipt. This is primarily issue for off line payments.

If real Invoice is generated system calculates tax and we're required to pay VAT regardless if the Invoice is paid or not. We could cancel Invoice and VAT in that case, but it would require legally canceling many Invoices.

Another thing I'm thinking about is having all Invoices generated in WHMCS actually be Pre-Invoice/Quotes and once these are paid generate legal Invoices in other system and send it to customer. This is how we currently do, but I was hoping we could completely automate our system.

Are you guys still confusing invoices and receipts? How can you be required to pay tax on something that isnt even paid for. That doesnt even make sense.

An invoice is not the same a quote either. A quote consists of what is being offered and what the price will be. Customer agrees to quote, job or product is received or bought and invoice (same meaning as: bill) is sent of what is owed. Then a receipt is given for proof of funds paid.

Like I mentioned VAT/tax system is not same everywhere. In my country (east europe) and some others if you issue valid Invoice you're required to pay VAT stated in that invoice at the end of the month, regardless if the invoice has been paid or not. This is more accounting than billing issue.

Dominic

That's a possibility but not a good solution. In my country you need to file VAT report at the end of each month and pay VAT for that month. So if someone makes an order on 28th should I cancel it at last day of the month and not pay VAT or leave it and pay VAT then cancel it next month if the customer doesn't pay. But in that case I have to mess with canceled VAT from last month etc....complicated I know, but I don't make laws :)

In australia its the same.

Except our tax system is "GST"

There is two options here

Accounting on Cash (only account tax when payment is recieved)

Accounting on invoices (account tax regardless)

Sadly.. if a business earns over 50k a year, we have to account on invoicing and not cash.

Althogh gst is only at 10% :P

I have a account with a debt recovery / reporting agency here, If a client doesn't pay even 5 cents, i will report them. it's thier credit rating in the end not mine :)

I just let them run as normal, Im not earning over 50k just yet.

Although i might mention.. There is the "Unpaid" and "Paid" invoices...

I only print out the invoice's marked "PAID" once a week and only declare the paid invoices

If someone pays the late invoice the following month then i declare it that month. I won't and don't pay tax on money i never recieve. Although that was on advice from my accountant

I have a account with a debt recovery / reporting agency here, If a client doesn't pay even 5 cents, i will report them. it's thier credit rating in the end not mine :)

G'day Mate,

Mind sharing the agency with me, so I can check them out?

Cheers,

Ozzie

PS I only do an annual return, that's another option if you're small fish :)

• 7 months later...

Has anyone come up with a solution for this yet?

I have a similar problem in Spain. My invoices have to be in a continuous order. If an invoice remains unpaid, it messes up the invoice numbers.

I was wondering if this would work:

1. Set up dummy Invoice Starting # (Invoice Configuration) to be a very high number. e.g. 50,000,000

2. When an order comes in, the invoice number automatically generated will be 50,000,001.

3. If it gets paid, a script could find all references to the invoice number in the database and change the invoice number to the next real available number e.g. 20,070,001. A separate table for real invoice numbers will be needed. It may also need to change the invoice date (must check with my accountant).

4. Only display Order # in invoices until the invoice has been paid and has a real invoice number.

I am assuming that the existing invoice number generator will carry on using the next highest available number which will be 50,000,001 or more.

Matt - If you could confirm that my idea would work, I can start writing a script for it. It's 2:50am. I'm half asleep and I'm pretty sure there's a flaw in my plan but I'm too tired to spot it.