Pro-Rata Settings

LifeGuard

This will be my first time pro-rating... I'm going to start the pro-rating with all new customers... But I'm a little confused, what do you all have your settings setup as.

* Prorata Date ____ Enter the day of the month you want to charge on

* Charge Next Month ____ Enter the day of the month after which point the following month will also be charged for with the first payment

What does everyone use here so I know more or less what settings to use. Thanks in advance.

Pro rated billing means you can pick a day, any day you would like and makes sense to charge. So essentially, you will have one day, and it will bill cycle. As for the charge next month, make it a relativly close if you want to bill in advance or far to bill services used.

• 2 months later...
It's all explained in the manual: http://v3manual.whmcs.com/?id=93

Hi Matt,

This is a little confusing in the Manual:

... For example, if you set the charge next month field to 20, if a client orders on the 19th of the month a product with a cost of $30 they will be billed $15 on the date of order and then $30 each month on the 1st. However, if a client orders on the 20th of the month, they would be billed $10 to take it until the 1st of the next month and then the whole next month as the date of order is after the charge next month date so their total first payment would be $40 and they would then be billed $30 a month starting the 1st of the month in 2 months time.

Where/how is the $15 calculated? If there are 30 days in that month isnt the prorata amount

$30x (30-19)/30 = $11 ?

Is this an error in the manual or have I possibly misunderstood how the prorata billing works? :-D

Cheers,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

:shock: Not happening for me.

Product: $120

Billing Cycle: Annual

Recurring: Yes

Settings

Prorata Billing: Tick ("check" to some)

Prorata Date: 1

Charge Next Month: 21

Todays Date: 9 May 07

Order Received

First Payment Amount: $120

Recurring Amount: $120

Billing Cycle: Annually

Next Due Date: 09/05/2007

Basically, it's wrong. After the first charge, we only bill on the 1st of the month. So, the prorata amount is not there, and the next bill is wrong.

I don't think I missed any tick or check or some other required option.

Not happy Jan! (Jan? it's an AU thing)

In relation to this topic:

I haven't had pro-rata enabled, and thus have clients billed throughout the month. I'd like to keep it like that for existing clients.

Therefore, I just wanted to confirm that ticking the pro-rata box only affected new orders - am I right? Much appreciated.

Grrrr! It just did it again. Another annual order and wrong next bill date and wrong amount.

What's the fix here? Anyone???

Prorata works only for monthly payments , NOT annual payments .

is it supposed to work with annual payments now? last time i talked about it , it was meant only for monthly payments.

Prorata works only for monthly payments , NOT annual payments .

is it supposed to work with annual payments now? last time i talked about it , it was meant only for monthly payments.

:lol: yes I think you are right. I didnt even think about that. But hey, the way we do things, anyone that pays for a year with us doesnt need to get pro-rata'd, its only our monthly clients.

I just wish we could SET the pro-rata date for each client for their monthly payments. i.e their first date will be their future prorata date. Their next sign ups will be prorata to their first signup date.

Cheers,

Paul

Aha! So, AFTER the client has received the auto emails telling him/her the WRONG next bill date, if we MANUALLY changed the next bill date to the 1st of month (for the following year), then apart from CONFUSING everybody, do you recon the script will actually bill on the correct revised date the next year? Hope so.

Just having a dig at the "lion tamers" in the back room who scripted the accounting into the program. This is in fact a really nice script, full of nice surprises.

The main reason I like this script is because I hate accounts and invoicing and tax and banks and merchants and all the paperwork it creates. And this script replaces a lot of paperwork.

Aha! So, AFTER the client has received the auto emails telling him/her the WRONG next bill date, if we MANUALLY changed the next bill date to the 1st of month (for the following year), then apart from CONFUSING everybody, do you recon the script will actually bill on the correct revised date the next year? Hope so.

sure , it will bill the clients on the date you manually entered , the script does not go back and read the emails sent to clients before generating invoices :)

• 3 months later...

Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

I invoice my clients monthly by credit card or quarterly by "mail in payment". My problem is when someone signs up and orders quarterly hosting the amount charged is correct but on the invoice description it states (08/22/2007 - 09/30/2007), only the next month and not the next 3 months. Should read (08/22/2007 - 11/30/2007). I've tested all of the Prorata options possible but can not come up with the correct posted dates.

I know I can change the dates manually, but worry the same thing will occur after the next invoice is posted in three months.