how to upgrade to V4 with custom template ?

dotcom22

Hi

I have just upgrade to version 4 but I don't understand well how to do about template. In fact I use a customized "portal" template where I have make a lot modification...Now I see new portal template are totally different and I see also some change are made in some template file as describe on wiki upgrade step here

So how I must make my upgrade ? I would like continue to use my old customized portal template.... I start to make some confusion with my template, new portal template and modified template file.... I imagine the list of modified template files are not only modified for graphical reason but also because it contain new code ??

thanks

Mirko

First... I'd suggest not making changes to the distributed templates.

If you want to base a template off of portal... copy the portal directory and rename it to your own domain or something.

Then set the template under Setup->General Settings->Template

That way, when things upgrade... you won't overwrite your templates. Granted, they might not work anymore...

Thanks for suggestions but it is what I have do...My custome template use the base of portal template of version 3.8 and I hace copy, modify and renamed it...

But now with new version 4 I don't understand if I can continue to use it....

On upgrade page it is write the follow files are been updated:

The following template files have changed from the previous release V3.8

* bulkdomainchecker.tpl

* bulkdomaintransfer.tpl

* clientareaaddcontact.tpl

* clientareachangepw.tpl

* clientareachangesq.tpl

* clientareacontacts.tpl

* clientareacreditcard.tpl

* clientareadetails.tpl

* clientareadomaindetails.tpl

* clientareadomainrenew.tpl

* clientareadomains.tpl

* clientareahome.tpl

* clientareainvoices.tpl

* clientareaproducts.tpl

* clientareaproductdetails.tpl

* clientregister.tpl

* domainchecker.tpl

* downloads.tpl

* knowledgebase.tpl

* passwordreminder.tpl

* supportticketsubmit-steptwo.tpl

* upgrade.tpl

* upgradesummary.tpl

* viewinvoice.tpl

* viewticket.tpl

* All Order Form Templates

...so that mean if any of above files are been modified by me in my costomized template I must analyze that files and customize again according to my need ?

Am totally confused.....

We do similar, but as our templates have contained continuous customisations since 3.2, we don't want to break the extra functionaility that we've implemented.

I simply do a comparison between the new version and the previous version and identify the "new" or changed code

I also duplicate our template and add the code the duplicate, so that whilst doing the template conversions, the customer sees a working platform, while I can see a live model of the new templates

Its a slower process at around 2 hours , but I find it easier than trying to add our code to the new templates. (we've taken out most of the validation errors versions ago)

You can also use notepad++, which has a useful 'compare' function between 2 files.