Enetica or other registrar integration

ozace

Hi,

can't find anything on the forums about this - hope I am not blind.

I am writing an Enetica integration. Can contact them - have logged in successfully and gotten nameservers etc - so progressing ok.

I need to be able to do a couple of things:

1. Would love to have a custom field in the tbldomains that I could use to store a piece of data per Australian domain. Is this a feasible thing - or do I just do it and take my chances

2. Where can I find the .tpl that manages the configure options that come up when you attempt to register an Australian domain? I have looked through the templates and order files and cant find it - it is the one that shows:

Registrant Name: *

Registrant ID: *

Registrant ID Type:

Eligibility Name:

Eligibility ID:

Eligibility ID Type:

Eligibility Reason:

hope someone can help

Jim

etc - from https://www.mydomain.com/cart.php?a=confdomains

As an extra - this of course varies depending upoin the tld selected - so .ca has one set of pre-config questions, .au another etc - would like to find the templates and understand how the data for the templates is generated/accessible for my mods ?

cheers

Jim

Thanks Matt - that's excellent

Whereabouts is the formatting for the output of these done - I guess it may be in code as I can't find a .tpl that would be it ? I can see something that looks like it could be covering it in configuredomains.tpl - I will play there :-) (I will try adding in a table)

cheers

Jim

yep - seen that one - planetdomains also handles .com.au (don't know about your driver on that one yet though - haven't got to it yet :-) )

However I am already an Enetica reseller for .au domains and so will need to be able to continue Manage facilities for those even if I switch for new registrations.

I wrote the interface for Enetica for myself in AWBS - meant I had to do a lot of rewriting of some of their other code do do it - it wasn't as easy to integrate as it appears to be for WHMCS - a blessing -:-)

I was writing my whole suite instead of AWBS and was nearly finished - but some of my drive to continue ever developing was lacking and am pleased to have found WHMCS - now I just have to get to grips with it so I don't use it in an inefficient manner

Thanks for the earlier answers - hope I dont get anyone offside with newbie questions - I do try to search first but sometimes you can miss answers

cheers

Jim

• 2 months later...

Are you still writing your Enetica module for WHMCS? We are really looking forward to it and are sure there are other Australians like us that would love not to have to register/renew their domains manually every time their customers pay. How are you getting on?

Are you still writing your Enetica module for WHMCS? We are really looking forward to it and are sure there are other Australians like us that would love not to have to register/renew their domains manually every time their customers pay. How are you getting on?

I have been a touch unwell so haven't done a lot more on it - have renewal, contact update and retrieval, nameserver delegation updating, password retrieval coded (small issue on renewal I have to sort).

Got a lot of the registration coded but not tested yet and still need to do transfer

hopefully just a few week (am on leave at the moment so will get to it on return)

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

However I am already an Enetica reseller for .au domains and so will need to be able to continue Manage facilities for those even if I switch for new registrations.

You can switch all the domains very (or fairly) easily especially if you have full access to them now.

I did it a number of years ago. Distribute I found are a much better co to deal with.

• 2 months later...

ok - couple of questions on how to proceed here - want some views back from other Enetica resellers

1. should domains go to the enetica pending queue if there are issues on things like abn lookup - or should these simply create the error message to be picked up in admin and then can resubmit from there. Think it would be best to do second one

2. passwords. To do a lot of the activities in the Enetica side you need the domain password. Now we could:

• set that - say use his encrypted userid ?

• allow user to set that (I think this would confuse user - what is difference between this password and my account password etc)

• allow Enetica to set that and then retrieve that from Enetica (has the advantage that if user logs directly to Enetica and changes password you can still get it)

Now if we allow Enetica to set it I am proposing that we then use a field in the additionaldomains.php to store this. First time used we have to retrieve (can take short while)then we use stored one. If password doesnt work we retrieve again and store (in case they change it).

However if we use this then we have to either hide that field in the various places that it comes up (configuring domains) or accept it on display ?

views?

hope this all makes sense?

Jim

As far as point one goes, just leave it in WHMCS, can send to enetica when all the info is correct manually.

as far as passwords go, doesn't the reseller password cover everything? wouldn't it be simpler to use that than add the extra layer (plus storing the individual passwords in the DB not such a good idea I suspect)

I hope you're planning on sharing when finished :) Happy to help with beta testing if you need some.

and while I'm thinking on it, and import from that csv enetica provides would be sweet hehe

Edited by smartart

Sounds good to me as well for point 1

On point 2 - unfortunately the reseller password doesnt do it when you need to manage a domain through the Enetica API - you need the individual password for the domain name :-( The Enetica API is quite clunky really and my WHMCS interface to it has to wrap itself around a bit to make it work'. you have to login using domain name and password if you do any manage services - this returns a cookie that you have to use for subsequent management activities.

We'll see on the import side - I already have a script from a previous set of code I wrote for AWBS that updates expiry dates etc so I will update that cron and could probably use that as a base for an import script - unsure on that though yet

and yes - I intend to share - as long as it doesnt become an onerous task to maintain :-)

Jim

ok - just about ready to get someone to assist in testing here - module now does:

email redirects,

contact retrieval/updates,

nameserver retrieval/updates,

registration,

renewals,

transfers

but doesn't do dns management and nameserver creation/update based on the domain as the Enetica API doesnt support that (only in their direct manage routines on their site) - am trying to get something from Enetica on a way to do this but doesn't look good

Doesn't seem to be anywhere in the std whmcs registrar module to allow url redirect manipulation though - so that is also not included.

So I have some tidying up to do then perhaps Smartart might PM me with contact details and we can do some further testing ?

cheers

Jim

further question - there isnt a sep entry point for the URL Redirects (WHMCS assumes that this is handled within the DNS area - ie the way that ENOM does it). So how would you feel about this being done that was or should we look at a small additional module and then modify the template to call that rather than restricting to the rather clunky ENOM way ?)

• 1 month later...

yep,

got it working - but there is some clunkiness around redirects that I am not real happy about - but rest all works (registration, renewal, transfers, nameservers, email redirects - not DNS as I cant get any sot of DNS api going with Enetica) - needs documenting though. I have a cron job that updates the expiry dates each day and emails results etc.

Will do some work on documentationa dn then let you test so you can tell me if the clunkiness is worth it

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Keep me in the loop too.

I've been checking out WHMCS to replace an existing custom-built order/client/domain system and will likely purchase it. One of the existing drawbacks is no support for Enetica... yet.

Reckon you'll have this out before the new year?

Cheers, Kurieuo

• 1 month later...

Yes I did - and it was all working, but suddenly Enetica have changed the completed AU domains report that showed the passwords per domain. Unfortunately the Enetica API requires you to have the domain password for any management activity. I used to get it from that report using Curl and then store the password if authentication failed (handles first time manage and if customer actually changes it through Enetica directly.

I have asked support why this was changed - but I can guess the answer - security

so I am now looking at how to get around this - maybe setting a standard password (not real secure) or having to ask customer to add in the domain password as part of the request - maybe a "we dont have that password on file - please enter the password that you received from the initial registration of if you have updated the password" then store it

what do you think ?

Ironically, as I mentioned in my PM, enetica are just making it harder for their clients to register new domains via automation, the solution to that is to choose a different registrar for new registrations that's more co-operative, and just use the enetica module for existing domain maintenance - asking the client for the password the first time is OK, or hosts can add them manually if they like. No reason why this wouldn't work with new regs too if anyone wanted to do it that way.