Simple Nominet post-transfer update tool

Dominic

A very simple addon here which doesn't use the EPP system as I don't have the first clue nor enough time for that :P

This script simply lets you paste in the line given by Nominet in their 'Registrar change notification' email and parses the domain/dates then sets the status to Active, and updates the registration date, expiry date and next due date accordingly (next due date is set equal to the expiry date), and uses the API to send an e-mail of your choice to the user. You can disable the sending of that e-mail via a checkbox.

Sample Nominet line:

thedomain.co.uk|Registered until expiry date.|20090329|20070329|20090131|ns1.nameservers.com|NS1234567-UK|ns2.nameservers.com|NS1234569-UK||||||||||||||||

Usage: This is an admin addon module, so create a folder in /modules/admin/ and place the file inside. I think the file has to have the same name as the directory.

Configuration: Your API details, and the name of the e-mail to send the customer.

Warnings: Usual disclaimers and use at your own risk! I've been using this today with no problems and the script checks the domain exists before trying to do anything silly. Far as I know it's not possible for it to update all your domains or wipe your database but I won't guarantee that ;)

Currently revising the script to handle a piped e-mail to fully automate...

uk_domain_manager.txt

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the long wait but pleased to say I've now fully automated this process after having to transfer 150+ domains to our tag!

We run our e-mail on a separate server to our billing system, so I'm piping the e-mail to a script which parses it then posts it to the above domain manager script. Actually very simple to do, I just didn't get round to looking at it before now.

I'm guessing most people will run e-mail and WHMCS from the same server so, for simplicity, will attach a file which acts as an all-in-one - ie can be used from WHMCS, and can also have Nominet 'registrar change notification' emails piped to it.

A neat feature is that it uses stdin, so with a little loop you can run through every Nominet e-mail in your inbox for those who, like me, had a small pile to run through.

Does anyone need it to parse the nameservers? At the moment it only handles the domain and dates (as above) as I don't know any situation where the namservers are needed (WHMCS will retrieve them when the domain is viewed)?

Letting this script run on our system before putting it up here (and also it's 1am so not tested my final changes yet!), will update this tomorrow :)

• 2 weeks later...

Has it really been so long since I last posted, sorry :eek: - Easter should be a quiet time but I ended up exhausted :/

New admin module with pipe capability attached. Instructions at the top with just a few bits of configuration required. I don't have a way to test this modified script so please let me know if you see any errors.

I advise using a test environment and testing by transferring your own domains between tags (PM me if you'd like help, I won't steal your domain!)

uk_domain_manager.txt