Move from Modernbill?

yabado

Question

Hello,

I am considering a move from MB to WHM, but have a few questions first.

1. I currently bill all clients on a monthly basis. The first day of the month I generate all invoices, create the batch, then process them in MB (AuthorizeNet gateway). When clients sign up , they are pro-rated for whatever time is left in the month, then they are billed on the first with everyone else.

Is this possible with WHM?

2. I read somewhere that domain packages are not tranferred over with the import script. I have over 1000 enom domains signed up , what are my options to get them over?

Does WHM renew domains via the enom API call? Modernbill does this each month, on clients with good billing status.

3. Is there an WHM API? I would like to be able to use one to use in my own custom control panel.

4. How much of WHM is ioncube encoded? I am a PHP developer and would like to be able to cutomize/tweak things if possible.

That is is for now, but I am sure I will have more questions before all is said and done.

7 answers to this question

ALl I cna say is I made the switch and I have gotten accomplished in two weeks what could not be done in 6 months with MB. Everything is about 100 times more simple, the support is way better, and all in all this is a much better, stable, more supported platform IMHO.

1. I currently bill all clients on a monthly basis. The first day of the month I generate all invoices, create the batch, then process them in MB (AuthorizeNet gateway). When clients sign up , they are pro-rated for whatever time is left in the month, then they are billed on the first with everyone else.

Yes, I currently have it setup to bill all my clients on the first, if they buy the servers after the 20th, then they get a prorated amount and are charged for the next month as well. If it is before the 20th, then they just pay a prorated amount for the remainer of the month.

2. I read somewhere that domain packages are not tranferred over with the import script. I have over 1000 enom domains signed up , what are my options to get them over?

Does WHM renew domains via the enom API call? Modernbill does this each month, on clients with good billing status.

I am not sure on this one, but I am sure someone else will chime in!

3. Is there an WHM API? I would like to be able to use one to use in my own custom control panel.

THere is not an API, but Matt provided me with a skeleton script that can be used to build your own module to provision accounts to any kind of server you want as long as the servers technical capabilities allow for it.

4. How much of WHM is ioncube encoded? I am a PHP developer and would like to be able to cutomize/tweak things if possible.

All of it is encoded. However, this does not stop you from customizing. You can add your own pages to the system with great ease, and since everything is done with Smarty's on the clients front end, you can customize as you see fit, and add PHP. You can also add Smarty plugins to accomplish things with PHP in this system.

Another plus is the checkout system on WHMCS is much more logical then MB, at least MB 5 which I had been trying to use.

All I can say is this is honesty this is the BEST move my business has made this year. Just download the trial, setup a new account on your server and set it up, you will see. The first thing that caught my attention was in 15 minutes I had installed, configured, and placed a succesfull order that connected to authorize.net, provissioned the cPanel account, invoiced the client etc etc. WIth MB, that didnt happen without ease for 3 months and a lot of chasing support to get them to fix their broken scripts.

This is just my opinion, but I have been extremely happy over the last few weeks since making the switch. It is going to make our business look leagues ahead of where it was just a month ago in appearance and flow and function once our integration is complete.

Just go take a look at the feedback topic and you will see how happy everyone of WHMCS clients are. then go look at MBs feedback topic, you should get the picture.

ALl I cna say is I made the switch and I have gotten accomplished in two weeks what could not be done in 6 months with MB. Everything is about 100 times more simple, the support is way better, and all in all this is a much better, stable, more supported platform IMHO.

Yes, I currently have it setup to bill all my clients on the first, if they buy the servers after the 20th, then they get a prorated amount and are charged for the next month as well. If it is before the 20th, then they just pay a prorated amount for the remainer of the month.

I am not sure on this one, but I am sure someone else will chime in!

THere is not an API, but Matt provided me with a skeleton script that can be used to build your own module to provision accounts to any kind of server you want as long as the servers technical capabilities allow for it.

All of it is encoded. However, this does not stop you from customizing. You can add your own pages to the system with great ease, and since everything is done with Smarty's on the clients front end, you can customize as you see fit, and add PHP. You can also add Smarty plugins to accomplish things with PHP in this system.

Another plus is the checkout system on WHMCS is much more logical then MB, at least MB 5 which I had been trying to use.

All I can say is this is honesty this is the BEST move my business has made this year. Just download the trial, setup a new account on your server and set it up, you will see. The first thing that caught my attention was in 15 minutes I had installed, configured, and placed a succesfull order that connected to authorize.net, provissioned the cPanel account, invoiced the client etc etc. WIth MB, that didnt happen without ease for 3 months and a lot of chasing support to get them to fix their broken scripts.

This is just my opinion, but I have been extremely happy over the last few weeks since making the switch. It is going to make our business look leagues ahead of where it was just a month ago in appearance and flow and function once our integration is complete.

Just go take a look at the feedback topic and you will see how happy everyone of WHMCS clients are. then go look at MBs feedback topic, you should get the picture.

I agree completely. I was with MB for 2 years and did more in 2 weeks with WHMCS as well. Whats awesome about WHMCS is that its contantly improving (v3 is going to be awesome). Matt is very open to feedback from customers to help it meet our needs.

Thanks WHMCS!

The major issues with the import scripts is that it unfortunately changes the payment method for all accounts and if i remember right, it does import the domains either. I was able to make the corrections pretty easily using a tool called navicat. Its a lot easier than phpMyAdmin for making lots of edits to multiple rows and/or tables. You can even export to excel, make the changes , then import back into the db.

I'll add my 0.02 in here about modernbilkl/WHMCS imports and the like:

Firstly, IIRC it DOESN'T copy the credit card (sorry, but it shouldn't be able to in the first place). This is not a big issue, as you should go over all clients copied in the first place

Secondly, integrating scripts into WHMCS is easy to do, very much so. I've managed to do so much more with WHMCS and integration than I could do in YEARS using modernbill, and I've only just started.