Free Domain but not transfer?

Matt Wade

Any bright ideas on how to offer a free domain, but not a free domain transfer? We normally have to be involved in transfers, so charging for them makes up for the time that is involved. New registrations are automated and easy so we have no problem giving those free. Any idea on how to accomplish this?

Matt, sorry I have no idea.

But wouldn't you want this? Here is my thinking, sure based on the time you spend with the transfer (and yes at times they can be time consuming), but wouldn't that fall under the cost of obtaining a new customer? Once the customer has his domain with your service, the chances of keeping that customer around for the "long haul" has just increased since his domains are with your company now. Its the long term value of that customer that matters more than the short term gain, would you agree?

I have to agree with R-n-R the acquisition cost of a new client is easily well above the fee of a 1 year domain renewal (the cost of a transfer). Dealing with .ca names can be much harder and so I can see where this might take up to an hour of time or more. But over the lifetime of a client how much revenue do they represent?

You might be saving pennies but losing dollars.