API question: integrating a custom item order form into WHMCS

switch

I've take a close look at the API docs, and they _appear_ to support what I'm trying to do, but before investing a lot of time in trial and error, I'm posting this to the community for some feedback.

So:

I want to have an order form on my main web site. The order form asks for a wide range of extra information which I am storing. After the user completes the order form, I want to do two things:

1) Create a hosting account based on a pre-existing plan (nothing complicated about this, it simply involves passing client information, plan, payment info, and creating the account).

2) I want to charge the customer $X as part of the order process for the fee I'm providing (I'm thinking I could do this by making a special hosting plan that had that amount as the setup fee)

----

Assuming I'm approaching this the right way, I see that it's very easy to create a new client in WHMCS:

http://wiki.whmcs.com/API:Add_Client

What I'm not so clear on is how to order a plan for that client, charge their card, get a positive response, and act accordingly.

At the very least, I would need to assign the plan to the client, assign the credit card they provide, then set the order as "pending" or whatever. From there, I could log into the WHMCS admin and do things as normal.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience doing this kind of thing?