Cannot Install?

Lorian

Question

Hi

For the purposes of testing I installed WHMCS onto our dev server (MySQL4 & PHP4) and it works like a dream. However.. on our live server, which ultimately it would need to run on, I cannot get past Step 4 of the installation.

As much as I hate to be one of those awkward people that uses the latest version of everything, this is our live server setup:

Server 2003 x64 R2

MySQL 5.0.24

PHP 5.1.6

Attempting to intall on this simply returns a cannot connect to database error. The database information is correct so it would appear to be something to do with MySQL5?

Any ideas?

L

24 answers to this question

There shouldn't be any problems with that. It just uses mysql_connect and mysql_select_db. Are you sure the database details are correct and have the correct permissions?

Matt

Thank you for the prompt response - yes the details are correct. As a test I tried installing a forum (IPB) to that database using the same details and it went through fine.

I can also connect to the Databse through MySQL Administrator using those details without a problem.

For the purposes of testing, the user has full permissions.

L

Ensure your adding your cPanel username before the database username and database name.

E.g.

user_dbname

user_dbuser

I know this may sound strange but we do not run cPanel as we have no need for it. I create databases and users manually on the server through MySQL Administrator.

My interest in WHM stems from that fact that as far as I can see it is the cleanest looking and easiest to use Hosting Client Manager around. The installation on our Dev server has shown that it can do what we need it to do - ie we don't need cPanal to make use of WHM.

Appreciate the help though!

L

I have completely uninstalled the x64 version of MySQL 5.0.24 and replaced it with the latest x86 version - 5.0.26.

Unfortunately I still encounter the same issue. Web based PHP installers for other software I use can connect to the db fine using the details (IPB, vBulletin and CS-Cart all work fine) it appears only to be WHM which gives me the error.

Could not connect to the database - check the database connection details you entered and go back and correct them if necessary

Anybody got any other suggestions? WHM looks perfect and I really would like to get it working :D

L

Thank you for the advice guys.

I have just tried backing up the working installation from the Dev server and restoring it into MySQL5 on the live server and the same issue occurs.

MySQL is on the same server so I am using localhost. As you guys point out, it is definately an issue with connecting to MySQL - but it ONLY affects WHM.

I have been setting up MySQL/PHP based websites for several years but this issue completely loses me. Today alone I have done installations of IPB, vBulletin and CS-Cart for clients which all involve setting up MySQL Databases and Users then running PHP installers and all work fine. I use the exact same procedure for WHM and it fails :?

Any other suggestions anyone?

L

Can you get a more detailed error output by trying to connect directly to the database using that user via a CLI. Might give some clues.

Andrew

Thanks for the reply.. that's kind of the problem - everything else connects to it absolutely fine. MySQL Administrator, MySQL Query Browser, Command Prompt etc. Using the same specific database and User/Pass they all work without error. Yet I put that exact same info into the WHMCS Installer and it fails.

Write permissions on the configuration.php file appear fine as the info does get written to it correctly.

Looking at configuration.php I see an entry for cc_encryption_hash which doesn't appear in any PHP Installer for other software which works. Is it possible that this is causing a problem?

L

cc encryption stands for credit card encryption, which would be the reason why your other software doesnt have it. If this is causing you so much frustration, pay the few bucks for installation. I would offer my services, but i wouldnt touch a windows web server with a 10 foot pole. =P

Just a shot in the dark here. Remember that windows server 2003's basic security is the reverse of 2000 and NT server. 2000 and NT server the basic user had full control and you had to choke it down with NTFS permissions. 2003 server basic user doesn't have any permissions. I would investigate that first.

Secondly, this is a 64bit version of 2003 server? You know there are some issues with some "regular" 32 bit apps running on the windows 2003 64 bit platform. I figure that's where the problem is unless WHMCS has been known to run on the 64bit version.

My 2 cents .. :)

-Roger

Secondly, this is a 64bit version of 2003 server? You know there are some issues with some "regular" 32 bit apps running on the windows 2003 64 bit platform. I figure that's where the problem is unless WHMCS has been known to run on the 64bit version.

My 2 cents .. :)

-Roger

I am fairly sure the Permissions are correct, I think you are spot on with the 64-bit assumption though - it's the only thing left that can be causing issues!

Unless anyone else has successfully got WHM running on a x64 version of Windows Server?

L

Thinking this out a little more Lorian. WHMCS probably isn't the problem. Just that the problem is manifesting itself in it. WHMCS (as any php app) should be ok as long as the php interpreter is ok with the OS. php.exe is the big equalizer here. It's not how WHMCS is running becasue the OS is being shielded from the the program thru the php.exe interpretation. Same with MySQL, although not a language of course but the MySQL exe still has to function properly in a windows environment.

Said all that to say this: It's not WHMCS that is having the problem in the 64bit environment. But probably either the php interpreter or the MySQL exe (or both) don't like the 64 bit stuff. Both are an Intel compatible exe right? 32 bit anyway.

Make any sense?? :)

-Roger

I know now that this is not a x64 issue.

I have just had a new server built, clean install of Server 2003 R2 (x86), MySQL 5.0.27 and PHP 5.2.

I create the database, create the user, assign it full permissions to the db and still get the same error :(

The User/Pass combination connects fine if I use any other tool to connect to the db - it is only the WHMCS installer which doesn't like it.

I do not use cPanel .. I simply want to use WHMCS as a CRM system, hence the instructions to put the cPanel username before the dbusername and dbhost do not apply..

Will open a support ticket.

L

sorry to drag up an old topic but was a fix ever found for this?

I am having the exact same problem on my windows live server, and on a longhorn test server. It is not a user/connection string error, I have tried many PHP test scrips and they all can connect to the db fine using the details, this error only occurs in WHMCS

I am having the exact same problem on my windows live server, and on a longhorn test server. It is not a user/connection string error, I have tried many PHP test scrips and they all can connect to the db fine using the details, this error only occurs in WHMCS

What settings do you have enabled for PHP? A copy of your phpinfo page will be helpful.

From,

Adam

longhorn test server

No such thing...

Do you want me to place the whole thing on the board or only the required settings, the required settings are all there.

longhorn test server

No such thing...

No? Would love to know how you come to that conclusion since its been in beta for well over a year now.....(and its a test server to test longhorn, not to test scripts)

• WHMCS CEO
Figured out the issue. You cannot use a $ in the database password. Not sure if its something worth fixing, but it should at least be in the documentation or displayed on the install page. :)

This isn't a WHMCS limitation. Must be something specific to your server.