Modernbill ---> WHMCS

ctyler

Question

25 answers to this question

There are many things that ModernBill does and WHMCS can't do.

ModernBill can have a half ass working product, then update it, then completely be unstable due to bad testing with the update. On top of that, every update, overwrites your ModernBill's custom e-mails.

ModernBill is also able to answer support tickets in 2-3 working days. WHMCS answers within a couple hours.

It's a shame that WHMCS lacks these features of unstable software, and long support waiting times. ;)

There are many things that ModernBill does and WHMCS can't do.

ModernBill can have a half ass working product, then update it, then completely be unstable due to bad testing with the update. On top of that, every update, overwrites your ModernBill's custom e-mails.

ModernBill is also able to answer support tickets in 2-3 working days. WHMCS answers within a couple hours.

It's a shame that WHMCS lacks these features of unstable software, and long support waiting times. ;)

LOL..... I am cracking up. I appreciate the feedback.

I really have not had a problem with setting up modernbill. I have been with MB since 2005. My problem is with the support. Chickendippers you are correct when you say 2-3 days on support (I am using v5 by the way). You don't realize how important support is until you really need it. I posted in thier forums about the support and I was very far with my statement and nobody has bothered to get back with me. I guess they are just not interested in helping.

Thanks

CT

LOL

Our company used modernbill for over 5 years, and then we tried to upgrade from 4 to 5. After 3 months of headaches, we abandoned mb5, and kept using mb4.

It was more difficult to upgrade MB4 to MB5 then to change to WHMCS, which took all of 2 days. It was the easiest transition I could have imagined with only a few small hiccups related to paypal subscriptions (not an issue with WHMCS, but paypal).

There are a few features in MB that are not yet in WHMCS, but there are major improvements in WHMCS that will never be in moderbill.

1. Ease of use - that ship sailed long ago for MB. It is so hard to use and always has been. WHMCS is the easiest to use and learn. Everything is where you think it should be (or most everything :) )

2. Speed - WHMCS is blazing fast compared to MB. I was stunned by the difference.

3. Search features - WHMCS wins again. Awesome instant search, and custom filters on just about every searchable option.

4. Product entry, setup, etc - About 1 BILLION times easier than mb.

I could go on and on. And I Am not a WHMCS reseller - yet! :)

Our company made the switch from MB about 3 months ago, and there is NOTHING that we miss from that system, absolutely nothing.

Thanks for the input Michael.

It really is to bad that I have to leave. I am the type that will stick with a business because I am loyal like that but really do feel like I am being forced out. As the day goes by I am getting more irritated that my post on the forums is sitting there unresponded to and my support ticket has been open since the 26th. Even 2 phone calls have been ignored.

I think its time.

Casey

Casey, the longer you wait, the more upset you will be once you move because you didn't do it sooner.

EVERYONE who has moved away from MB to WHMCS feels the same way.

I heard it before when I moved, and felt it once I was up and running.

I'd rather have a working billing system w/o integrated SSL provisioning, than a integrated SSL provisioning on a system that breaks.

Right, I would have thought that way too if SSL sales wasn't a nice chunk of my business :)

I have read on another thread that Matt is closing in on releasing SSL provisioning so I only have to suffer a little while longer ;)

This is pretty cool. So far so good.

The MB script breakage does not bother me. I actually break them alot. Thats how I learn, by fixing them. The problem is when I need support. Support should not make you feel like a pair of brown shoes at a black tuxedo event!

Just for the record, I feel the same way about moving away from MB - it was a disaster for us, lost a lot of time and money on unusable, unreliable, badly supported software. WHMCS has been great. It's not perfect - nothing is! - but it's without a doubt one of the best out there.

Matt has really got the usability aspect handled, a great piece of engineering effort really as usability is really the key feature in any piece of software - and the hardest to get right.

I could never use the automated ssl provisioning as I use different providers than MB's ssl factory, so it was a non issue for us when moving, as we had to manually provision all the certs anyway. It would not have prevented us from moving if we had been using their automated certs. The time we save on all other aspects of managing customers heavily outweighs the time lost by manually handling ssl certs.

Regarding the SSL though, WHMCS allows you to easily add fields/forms for the CSR, and server type, so customers can just paste them in when ordering. If you are already manually provisioning certs like we were, moderbill just did not have the ability to easily add form field to the checkout process. With WHMCS, it took about 10 minutes to do.

I have yet to purchase WHMCS because I wanted to post this first.

Modernbill's sales department is on a Parallels vacation and they are not answering their phones and take forever and a day to answer trouble tickets, plus they charge an arm and a leg - up to 300 per hour! I posted a ticket abecause no one was answering their phones (it rang 20 times then went busy)... not even an answering machine so I thought I would let them know via trouble ticket. That is when they updated me on sales out of office notification and NO ONE will return calls.... so i made a nice post below in their ticket system.

-----

My billing solution is very critical to my business just like everyone else, and I cannot afford untimely unresponsive replies. I need a company I can depend on and will be there for me when I need help without being charged 150 to 300 per hour - if you’re making that kind of money perhaps you should hire someone to answer the phones for minimum wage or get an answering machine.

I have made an executive decision to migrate over to WHMCS. Thank you for your reply but your companies services are not needed for our company much longer.

Please close this ticket when you guys get to it in the next week or so.

----

The bottom is this... when you buy an application to process your billing and try to get support for something as critical as billing it would be nice to get a timely response. WHMCS has GREAT reviews all over the net and modernbill can not touch that since parallels came into the picture. Most people would argue that it has been that way with modernbill since day one.

Now I am on my way to skip the trial and go straight to making a WHMCS purchase.

It is very much forthcoming. See here.

Those are planned features. They could be "planned" for a while before anything is done.

Either way no worries. I took the plunge(all you guys' faults lol) and have not looked back.

Matt and team were a dream to work with and they got me migrated without a hitch. Matt even did a custom script for me that not only imports the accounts from WHM but it also matched them to it's corresponding owner(the free WHM import script does not do this, it only imports the domains) so that alone saved me HOURS of work.

So add me to the hater/lover(MB/WHMCS) club :lol:

Hey Guys,

I've been following this thread - I've been on MB 4.x from the start and there's no need to rehash why I, too, am looking to move on to something better, and something that works (which is why I never jumped to MB 5).

My question is - are the order forms customizable so that can match my site? What about the process of migrating V4 to WHMCS?

TIA!

I'm pretty sure the order form uses CSS, and it is also based on smarty forms so it's pretty easy to do some quite substantial customisation in the product ordering system. You can also jump people directly onto a specific product with a link (also I believe to a class of product?).

On top of that, there's also a complete order API provided. That means that from your own code and interface you can setup an order and jump into the order system to complete the order, or just handle the entire thing in your own code with your own look and feel and use the API to set up the customer and order in WHMCS as if it had been entered through the inbuilt system.

Much more doco is available in the WHMCS wiki which is at wiki.whmcs.com and stuff on customisation is at http://wiki.whmcs.com/Customising_WHMCS. You can also see some examples of how people have customised their WHMCS in the forums here under "WHMCS Showcase".

Also, if you really get stuck on customisation the WHMCS team have been very supportive of a number of people with special requirements in the past; you can hire them for a little programming here and there if needed as well.