The API is awesome...

s1rk3ls

I had heard that WHMCS had an API but it fell off the back of my brain at some point since I didn't think I would ever need to use it. Then I found myself toiling away at a new project completely unrelated to web hosting, and attempting to get WHMCS to function as my billing/support system, not to mention almost the entire website...

Everything was working great until I hit the wall of a fact that I need to run an external script monthly to check all accounts for over-usage and bill accordingly. Simple enough, I already have a script tied into their client area product details page to view current and past usage - I just need to automate pulling that data for all accounts and emailing a list of accounts that have gone over so I can manually create an invoice... An hour later, this function is done and works great - but who wants to manually create invoices? I figured, while I'm already dabbling in the database, why not see what's involved in creating an invoice... it's just a couple of database tables right?

Thankfully, this is when I remembered the API - a quick check of the manual, and sure enough there is a createinvoice function... Another 10 minutes to add the example API to the bottom of my existing script, test the output and wording and I am such a happy camper!!

WHMCS has always been a great product, and even though my life has gotten hectic and I haven't been able to keep up with it - it has kept up with my needs. Who knows? Now that I see what the API can do, perhaps I can integrate it even tighter with some other systems.

Thanks, Matt! And everyone who supports this great product - keep up the good work!

-Kris