.co.uk 2 year renewal price?

JasonO

Hi all,

In my lifetime i've bought a few domains, and I renew them. However one domain I've not wanted anymore. I tried cancelling it, but because my card expiry date went before renewal date, they wanted me to change my card. I could not bypass this Add New Card page to cancel it, so they keep sending me emails and letters. I've emailed them and they replied by telling me how to add a new card. I've rang them for them to just say I can't do anything unless I add a new card.

Today I got this letter from nominet

domainrenewjc7.th.jpg

The domain I registered 2 years ago (well 18th Febuary 2006), and it's renewal date has obviously passed.

The price for the .co.uk domain to renew now with VAT is £94.00 . Is this because i've left it so long to renew, or is it some mixup? I just thing its a stupid price to pay, but thought i'll check with you pro's on here why and what you think of it.

Basically, with Nominet your domain will normally be renewed by the company that you registered it with (Fasthosts/Ukreg in your case). If you do not renew it, Nominet then send out an invoice as you have received at their direct renewal price of £80+VAT. You can either renew it with Nominet (very expensive), renew it with Fasthosts or alternatively transfer it to another .uk registrar instead of Fasthosts and renew it with them. Nominet registrars get domains at £5+VAT as opposed to the £80+VAT that Nominet charge directly.