Billing Migration & Prorata

teal

We are migrating from a proprietary billing system which does not even have any export functionality. So we're being forced to manually type in all of the customer data. We do our billing for monthly accounts on the 25th. What we'd like to do between now and March 25th is to enter all the client data and add their services without generating invoices so that on March 25 new invoices get generated for the following month of service. Then we'd just zero out their balance which they've already paid through the previous billing system. The problem we're having is that when we choose the prorata option then add a service to an account, it charges for the prorated time from now until March 25. But it also adds an additional charge for the following month from March 25 to April 25. We don't want that to happen until March 25 so that an invoice gets generated when our customers expect it. Most of them are going to have to go in and re-enter their card data since we have no way of getting that out of our current billing system.

So my question is... Is there a way to stop it from charging for the following month of service when I choose the prorata option. I've tried playing with the next month charge day. But no matter what I put in there, it charges for the following month anyway. Am I missing something here?

We are migrating from a proprietary billing system which does not even have any export functionality. So we're being forced to manually type in all of the customer data.

If you other billing system uses MySQL or you can even export data in a CVS file you do not have to manually type in entries.

From,

Adam

Have a look in your invoice automation settings - it may be set high enough that it's already generating invoices due on the 25th of March now.

Configuration -> Automation settings -> Billing settings -> invoice generation

If you other billing system uses MySQL or you can even export data in a CVS file you do not have to manually type in entries.

From,

Adam

I wish... It's a hosted solution and they want $1000 to export the data... it's ridiculous. We've only got a few hundred accounts in there, so I figured it's going to be easier to just manually input everything.

Have a look in your invoice automation settings - it may be set high enough that it's already generating invoices due on the 25th of March now.

Configuration -> Automation settings -> Billing settings -> invoice generation

I hadn't thought about that... but I checked and it's set to 10 days before. So if it were after the 15th I could see why that would happen. But it's the 1st so it shouldn't be doing that.

When you're adding the order, don't generate the invoice and then straight away, go and edit the next due date :)

That's what I was thinking... I was actually going to ask to see if that would work. So we add the services without generating an invoice (which we were doing anyway) then immediately go in and change the next due date from 4/25 to 3/25 and then the billing should happen normally starting on 3/25?

• WHMCS Developer

That would work.. but it also depends what value you have in your automation settings, and what value you have set to automatically charge for the next period in your product.

(you have 2 pro rata dates in your product the date to charge from and the date to charge the next period from)

That would work.. but it also depends what value you have in your automation settings, and what value you have set to automatically charge for the next period in your product.

(you have 2 pro rata dates in your product the date to charge from and the date to charge the next period from)

We actually just noticed that now that it's March 1, it's not adding the additional month anymore. Maybe that's a bug. But we just added some services and it prorated them until 3/25. But every day after Feb 25 it was prorating them until 4/25.