22 second delay on loading pages in client area

As title..

The admin area has always been slow, normally this is seen in pages that begin to load immediately, but the browser doesn't determine that the page has fully loaded for about 20 seconds, so it's slow progress moving through the pages (drop downs won't work until it's 100% loaded).

I'd never really looked at the client front end until a client told us it was very slow. Indeed it is, but the 22 seconds are spent with the browser doing nothing and loading nothing. After 22 seconds the page then begins to load. Late-loaded items pop up fairly quickly.

The problem is that delay. Every page is like this.  List of tickets, view a single ticket, and so on. It seems like it's waiting for some sort of timeout on every page regardless of what else the page does , and it's basically unusable for clients.

I've checked the "Optimisation" tips, but I'm not seeing anything relevant. It's not "slow sometimes", it's slow all the time.

The same thread will begin to load instantly in the admin area. The client must wait 22 seconds to see anything at all.

We recently had to change the host for this,  I don't know if the slow down in the client area started after that or if it was always like this. The back end has always been slow with both providers.

It's on a virtual hosting package, we can't have a dedicated or VPS box because we don't do Linux and PHP. I could try moving it to another host but I'd rather see if I can work out what's wrong with it first.

Does anyone have any tips on how to go about this?

4 hours ago, Mark P said:

As title..

The admin area has always been slow, normally this is seen in pages that begin to load immediately, but the browser doesn't determine that the page has fully loaded for about 20 seconds, so it's slow progress moving through the pages (drop downs won't work until it's 100% loaded).

I'd never really looked at the client front end until a client told us it was very slow. Indeed it is, but the 22 seconds are spent with the browser doing nothing and loading nothing. After 22 seconds the page then begins to load. Late-loaded items pop up fairly quickly.

The problem is that delay. Every page is like this.  List of tickets, view a single ticket, and so on. It seems like it's waiting for some sort of timeout on every page regardless of what else the page does , and it's basically unusable for clients.

I've checked the "Optimisation" tips, but I'm not seeing anything relevant. It's not "slow sometimes", it's slow all the time.

The same thread will begin to load instantly in the admin area. The client must wait 22 seconds to see anything at all.

We recently had to change the host for this,  I don't know if the slow down in the client area started after that or if it was always like this. The back end has always been slow with both providers.

It's on a virtual hosting package, we can't have a dedicated or VPS box because we don't do Linux and PHP. I could try moving it to another host but I'd rather see if I can work out what's wrong with it first.

Does anyone have any tips on how to go about this?

Go to the /modules/ folder and find widgets.

Rename the widgets folder to widgets_old and create a new folder called widgets.

Check if charging improves.

If it improves, move each file individually until you find out which one is causing slowness.

Another guess is to visit the /includes/hooks/ folder and do the same.

Thanks - that sounded promising. However, it isn't the widgets or the "hooks",  this makes no difference to the page load time (I tried temporarily emptying the entire folder in both cases)

At the moment the admin area is moving along reasonably quickly but the client area is basically unusable.

.. However you were on the right lines, and I thank you: it turns out the slowdown was caused by an add on called "Time and Task Manager" which we used briefly but which turned out to be unsuitable so we did not renew the licence. Formally deactivating it has fixed this. All sorted.

On 7/26/2024 at 3:13 AM, Mark P said:

.. However you were on the right lines, and I thank you: it turns out the slowdown was caused by an add on called "Time and Task Manager" which we used briefly but which turned out to be unsuitable so we did not renew the licence. Formally deactivating it has fixed this. All sorted.

Yeah 22 seconds is a bit long. Always check your addons first. There's probably some old code somewhere. Glad it's fixed now!