cPanel Login ID Creation - Uniqueness across servers

wizzy420

If you let WHMCS handle all cPanel creation, or if you always put cPanel login information into WHMCS on manually created accounts, will WHMCS maintain login uniqueness across server pools?

That is to say, let's say you have three cPanel servers. A second customer signs up for a domain that has the same first eight letters as another persons domain, but is being setup on a different cPanel server.

Will WHMCS go "Ah, I see ABCD123 has been used as a login on cPanel-1, so when I create this account on cPanel-2 I will use a unique name that won't overlap the login on cPanel-1" ??

I need to be sure usernames are unique across multiple servers.

Steve

CPanel doesn't do this at all, you'd need to write custom code. Let me know if you do it, or want to discuss options. You might be able to do it with the new cpanel hook code; they don't allow any way to do it with the older cpanel pre/post scripts.

I don't think WHMCS does this, and it would of course be a good place to do it. The advantage being it would make moving accounts between servers transparent to users as the account name wouldn't need to change.

My educated guess is that it doesn't do it across different servers but you'll have to wait for Matt to give us a definite answer.

Perhaps if we ask Matt nicely he might agree to add a pre-create hook so we can test for, and modify, things like the auto-generated username and password?

Matt? This would fall into the category of really nice, and has been requested a bit I think ...

Cool. cPanel says you can use one database for multiple cPanel servers, as long as usernames don't get duplicated across the servers :)

Steve

You might be confused here; the database of account names is kept in WHMCS and doesn't have anything to do with cPanel!

Are you talking about sharing a mySQL database across servers somehow? Or something else?