Downsides of WHMCS Helpdesk?

RPS

We came to WHMCS looking for a billing system, not a client management program.

What's the deal with the built in helpdesk? What is wrong with it? Any features it needs that it currently lacks? Are clients really using this helpdesk to manage daily support? I noticed that WHMCS uses it, which is good.

When I was with ModernBill, they used the Kayako integration for the helpdesk compared to the standalone one that came with MB. The company didn't even use their own product.

Likewise, I'm very much enjoying WHMCS and it's ease of use.

The advantage of the helpdesk is it's very simple to set up and get going.

The disadvantage is that it lacks some of the more advanced features found in products like Kayako and Cerberus. For instance, you can't merge tickets. Admin notes are not displayed inline, you need to go to a special tab to read them. I'm sure there are more, but to be honest, you can live without those and it's great to have a fully functionaly integrated helpdesk.

Admin notes are not displayed inline, you need to go to a special tab to read them. I'm sure there are more, but to be honest, you can live without those and it's great to have a fully functionaly integrated helpdesk.

- This is the kind of stuff I'd like to know about. We never use admin notes, so that isn't a problem for us, however, if there are other things you dislike about the WHMCS Helpdesk, please post them. No matter what I decide, I'm sure other users who are thinking about switching would want to know what's wrong with it, especially Matt :)

So far, nothing you mentioned will make us use Cerberus or Kayako instead. I'm going to test implementation a bit and see how it works for me in the real world.

I already have support configured within Cerberus, and everything works great with it, so I'm not 100% sure that I will switch. Still in limbo...

I recently posted a similar thread.

We have a HUGE kayako implementation and are a little nervous to switch to the WHMCS helpdesk directly... however it would be nice not to have to integrate 2 products... in an ideal world I would be convinced the WHMCS helpdesk will stand up to our huge number of tickets, features wise it works for us..

- This is the kind of stuff I'd like to know about. We never use admin notes, so that isn't a problem for us, however, if there are other things you dislike about the WHMCS Helpdesk, please post them. No matter what I decide, I'm sure other users who are thinking about switching would want to know what's wrong with it, especially Matt :)
I'd suspect Matt is already pretty aware of what little could be improved with the helpdesk, he's pretty on the ball.

Having said that, I actually think it's surprisingly usable for a helpdesk that comes along with WHMCS. I'm not aware of any other surprises that are biggies.

Check out this related thread: http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?t=8050

In it, Matt says WHMCS's own installation of WHMCS copes with 250-300 tickets per day, and hasn't slowed down at all.

Having said that, I actually think it's surprisingly usable for a helpdesk that comes along with WHMCS.
Sorry; poor english, I meant "for a helpdesk that comes included at no extra charge"

Kayako eSupport is just fantastic in every way. You won't get to know how awesome it is until you use it. No one can just describe it in one line.

Since making clients go to 2 different URLs may be confusing, you can integrate WHMCS and Kayako eSupport fully!

Kayako is just perfect for us. Honestly it depends on what you are selling and how large your customer base is. Whats your staff's strength - schedules, etc. On eSupport there is ticket SLA, team work and a hell lot of features you can benefit from.

Then there is a Instant Response System (IRS) from which your customers can benefit. It instantly display knowledgebase articles depending on what the content of the ticket that is being written on is.

End... you simply can't beat this product if you have it setup well and running!

We used to lease this product before for nearly 6-7 months before buying the owned license.

+1 Vote for eSupport!

ganesh, thank you. These notes are very helpful to determine why someone should or should not use WHMCS. None of your points would warrant us to stay away from WHMCS, but others may benefit from it.

It's good to point out specific features like "my company uses X and WHMCS doesn't support it." There are a lot of companies that use the ticket SLA, so they will not be able to switch to WHMCS.

Fortunately we don't use that, so it still sounds like it would work for us.

Keep the features/ideas/thoughts coming.

we have just moved from the built in system to an integration of kayako esupport, main reason is that its easier for us to setup support staff with access to kayako only and not having to worry about them access certain features in whmcs, i know that support staff dont have access to the stuff i want to block out, but the main things that swayed me are, support having no access to whmcs, automatically cross refrencing the KB when a user is creating tickets and also, the sla's are a nice touch as some of our staff are not paid by the work they do, but by the speed that they respond to their tickets at, plus the escalation feature makes it easier for someone on first level who is not sure to escalate a problem to second level, rather than having to manually select the person to send it to

There is the mail parser rules too. Extremely important and I just love this features to the max!

I can setup the rules to block SPAM, make clients open tickets only via the help desk but make sure they are able to reply via email (piping) - so I can use the IRS feature to the maximum extent!

main reason is that its easier for us to setup support staff with access to kayako only and not having to worry about them access certain features in whmcs, i know that support staff dont have access to the stuff i want to block out, but the main things that swayed me are, support having no access to whmcs

It looks like in 3.6.0 there will be configurable admin permissions. This is great for some because you can REALLY fine tune what you want your support staff to see and use.

Just thought I would give everyone the heads up!