Domain Registration

Yanix

Question

1.What are the best resellers in your opinion?

2.Also, am I charged per domain the user registers?

3.And is it possible to offer a free domain with a certain hosting package?

1. IME the "best" domain registrars are eNom and OpenSRS, there are cheaper ones, but that cost saving comes at a more awkward/problematic integration, less support, more chance of them contacting your clients directly marketing other products etc.

2. Yes, although with most reseller accounts you "deposit" money in advance and then spend it on registrations, rather than paying each-time, so you'd pay-in $500 to your registrar reseller account, then when thats run out by you doing 50 domain reg/transfer/renew you pay-in another $500 (example figures only) etc.

3. Absolutely - when setting up the products you can specify if it has a free domain, and under what payment periods (for example only on quarterly and annual payment) and what domain TLDs you want to allow for free.

My advice - download the trial and test it out yourself :D

Cool! I'll have to wait until I gather some cash together from selling hosting before I have enough to purchase any reseller domain accounts.

thats one of the most expensive parts about reselling, getting domain credits can be costly, with enom through a reseller (the easiest way to get an enom account) you have to deposit $100 at a time, pricy but i have found enom to have the best service, i have registered domains and within 5 mins they have been live and pointing to my servers, and that is without me using a hosts file on my local pc

...i have registered domains and within 5 mins they have been live and pointing to my servers...

That's a NS issue more than anything else. Most registrars do the registrations live, or have very short queues lasting less than a minute. The rest has to do with propagation of the domain's NS server information and the name servers your Internet connection uses.

That's a NS issue more than anything else. Most registrars do the registrations live, or have very short queues lasting less than a minute. The rest has to do with propagation of the domain's NS server information and the name servers your Internet connection uses.

no what i mean is that more or less as soon as the domain is registered it is pointing to my servers, none of this wait 48 hours stuff which i have had to suffer with other hosts and registrars. with enom i order the domain, wait 5 mins and its live, that and the fact they are decently priced are the reasons i use them, otherwise i would probably use directi

Yes, Mark, precisely what I was getting at... That's really a nameserver issue. You see, whether you use Directi, Enom or OpenSRS for example with a .com tld, is processed immediately at all of these at the Global Registry. (For .com it's VeriSign). (I can't speak for other registrars that we don't use). Once that happens, it is registered, along with the NS servers you provided at the time of registration.

From there, you will note, that if you were to try to resolve the domain on different networks, or ISPs, you will see that some will be faster than others. This has to do with the way each network handles their DNS.

It can also be your computer. Try for instance to visit a site with a Windows PC or Mac right before the name is registered, then register it, and minutes later try to visit it... If you haven't flushed your PC's DNS (ipconfig /flushdns) you will note that your PC has already cached the domain as "not reachable". You'd need to wait until the TTL expires, your PC is rebooted or DNS is flushed. Anyway, then flush the dns, and voila, you get to the newly registered site!

Keep in mind, if a domain name was previously registered or is being transferred, the DNS record is being modified rather than just created. In this case the propagation depends on the TTL (Time To Live) value of the NS server originally associated with the domain. During that TTL, a NS server may cache the value from a few minutes to a few days and even longer. You or your clients may end up at the old server during this time. So, in this case, you are at the mercy of the Internet and you have to wait until all networks update their DNS for the domain to be reached.

Sorry for the off-topic.

Anyway, I personally think that all the registrars mentioned here are good choices. We now use Directi heavily, having many domains and resellers. Directi has it's quirks, just like Enom and OpenSRS, which we also use. Enom definitely has the best direct-reseller support, but mileage may vary depending on how large a reseller you are and who your account manager happens to be.

For those looking for entry-level and can't afford big upfront spending, a sub-reseller account can be a great option. It saves you hefty investment, and can offer you better pricing. Just ensure that you choose a company you can trust, preferably one that has been around and has staying power.

I am also wondering about the domain system.

If the customer fills in their domain for .com, its 1 year so it says 1 Year @ £5.00 for example. However if I do .co.uk, which is a minimum of 2 years registration - is the cost for per year or for both years? as in then I need to double the cost.

At the moment it says 2 Year's @ £5.00 for example, yet I don't know if thats for per year or for the 2 years?

Thanks for your help.

I've put it into the system, I just wasn't sure how the price was calculated - per year or per registration.

So the amount I put in the WHMCS Admin Panel will be the overall price for the X number of years I put. I see, thanks for your reply.

Yes, the price you put in for the multiple year options is the total for that # of years.

OK thanks for your help.

Another thing I was wondering was the tick boxes

DNS Management

Email Forwarding

ID Protection

EPP Code

Do you know if Directi support any of these? I couldn't see much in the documents where I looked in their reseller control panel.

EPP Code is used with transfers -- for domains requiring it only. some of these include: .com, .net, .org, .biz, .info ... etc Fully supported by Directi

ID Protection can be used with Directi but is one-way privacy protection ... one-way for now because WHMCS does not have a way for the customer to remove it themselves, you would need to do it by logging into your reseller account.

DNS Management & Email Forwarding can be enabled, but I have not really played around with it to know if it works well. With Enom, it apparently works nicely. With Directi, unsure.

• WHMCS CEO

Unless you specifically choose a built in registrar for WHMCS to use then it won't submit registration requests automatically and you can handle them manually when you receive an order. All orders go into a pending status and you can then manually register domains that are ordered at any registrar you like before activating them.

Matt

Here is what I do right now for those tlds where I go though a company that doesn't have an api... I use the email module. I have the email sent to domain-reg@mycompany.com. That way either I, or one of my employees checks that email, and registers it manually.

I have a suggestion for you Matt... The retail price on my domains is cheaper than the wholesale price with many other companies, enom for one. This got me thinking that it might not be a bad idea to resell domain services in addition to hosting.

Can you build a mod (or include in the next update) for whmcs to register with another whmcs system? ie: Customer A places an order at Site A. The order goes into Site A's whmcs, which uses the default registrar mod passing the order to whmcs on site B. Site B's whmcs in turn uses it's default reg mod to pass the order to it's registrar.

Make sense??? Didn't think so ;)

David Goodman

Diverse Hosting

Sounds like you need some custom development....and a second WHMCS license.

If you are talking about me... Custom development maybe, but I don't see the need for a second license. If I implement this, I would use my same license with my same site. The site the would be talking the original order would be owned by, and therefore licensed, by somebody else.

It was just my thought that with the registrar mods, it might be possible the the registrar a company goes through also uses whmcs. So it would be beneficial to have a registrar mod for other whmcs systems. Being as Matt created the ordering system, it should be a quick addition to create this type of mod.

Who knows? If I find the time I might create it myself. It shouldn't be that hard using the API kit in the manual, and the dev kit that Matt sent me for registrar mods.

Am I missing something in my thought process that would require an additional license? Is there anything that you can think of that might prevent this from becoming a reality? Sometimes I have huge holes in my thinking that I don't realize until I'm halfway done with the project.