Install.php gives "500 internal server error" after upgrade

Transistor

Version 3.1 working fine for several months.

Upgrading to 3.5.1 using instructions in readme.txt.

I unzipped all the files to my XP machine and uploaded using WinSCP.

When I run install/install.php I get the "500 internal server error".

Any ideas for fixing this? I didn't delete any of the old files so all the .htaccess, etc. should still be there.

Many thanks.

The permissions on your files are not setup correctly. You will need to CHMOD

/configuration.php          777
    /announcements.xml      777
    /attachments                 777
    /downloads                    777
    /templates_c                  777

Once complete, delete the install folder from your web server and CHMOD the configuration.php file back to 644.

Also, as a side note, it is usually better to upload the archive to the server, then extract it.

Thanks, Brett and PPH.

Permissions are all correct. I had to change /install/install.php permissions from 664 to 644. Now it runs.

Next problem. I am upgrading from 3.1.1 to 3.5.1. This option doesn't exist on the installer and all options are disabled except the first one.

New Install V3.5.1
Upgrade Install V3.2.0 to V3.5.1
Upgrade Install V3.2.1 to V3.5.1
Upgrade Install V3.2.2 to V3.5.1
Upgrade Install V3.2.3 to V3.5.1
Upgrade Install V3.3.0 to V3.5.1
Upgrade Install V3.4.0 to V3.5.1
Upgrade Install V3.4.1 to V3.5.1
Upgrade Install V3.5.0 to V3.5.1

What's my best option? I presume the new install will delete my database history.

Many thanks.

Your best option is to contact WHMCS and get an older version to upgrade to like 3.2.0. Once that is done you will be able to upgrade to 3.5.1

Currently there is no way to do an upgrade from versions less than 3.2.0 without doing an upgrade to an older version.

I had the same thing today when upgrading. I was moving from 3.3.0 and although it does show you can upgrade from that version, you can't and this is made known when you visit the link to download the latest version.

I backed up and went for it and most settings stayed fine but a couple I had to input again.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I went for it and it mostly works. I got a pile of mySql errors which is to be expected as all the tables already exist. upgrade340.sql generated some more worrying errors.

File: install.sql
Line 1 - Table 'tblaccounts' already exists
 ... line 2 - line 49 ...
Line 59 - Table 'tblwhoislog' already exists
Line 158 - Duplicate entry '1' for key 1
Line 159 - Duplicate entry '2' for key 1
Line 160 - Duplicate entry '3' for key 1
Line 161 - Duplicate entry '4' for key 1
Line 162 - Duplicate entry '5' for key 1
Line 163 - Duplicate entry '6' for key 1
Errors Occured

File: emailtemplates.sql
Line 1 - Column count doesn't match value count at row 1
... lines 2 - 27 ...
Line 28 - Column count doesn't match value count at row 1

File: upgrade340.sql
Line 3 - Unknown column 'renew' in 'tbldomainpricing'
Line 5 - Unknown column 'emailforwarding' in 'tbldomainpricing'
Line 6 - Unknown column 'idprotection' in 'tbldomainpricing'
Errors Occured

File: upgrade350.sql
Line 10 - Can't DROP 'domainids'; check that column/key exists

I had to re-enter all the General Configuration data again.

Spam Control and Clients Profile -> Contacts pages don't work.

Should I be concerned?

Paul, how did you do your upgrade? Same as me or did you make a new installation and import your old table data? If so, how?

Many thanks.

• WHMCS CEO

This isn't the first thread on the topic of upgrading from a version not supported, but I'll reiterate again to make it as clear as possible. *NEVER* run a new install to upgrade just because no path exists for it. You will experience all kinds of issues doing that, and when you start experiencing the issues, it will probably be too late to restore your backup from before upgrading without losing data. You should always be concerned if you get MySQL errors when upgrading.

Matt

OK, Matt, thanks for the straight answer. I did have a look for answers to my question before I started the thread and the subsequent support ticket. It seems strange to make the incremental upgrades unavailable - even if they are no longer supported. I had no reason to upgrade until this version came along and now find that I'm unable to do it myself.

Your charge for the upgrade seems good value but I lose the benefit of gaining a little more knowledge of knowing how whmcs works. I'm sure I'm not alone in having qualms about giving the keys to my site to a complete stranger to do this work.

Your charge for the upgrade seems good value but I lose the benefit of gaining a little more knowledge of knowing how whmcs works. I'm sure I'm not alone in having qualms about giving the keys to my site to a complete stranger to do this work.

Yeah, a lot of people seem to experience this hangup as it is a good concern. That is until you realize the person receiving the keys built the program and could have done anything in the encrypted code if that was his intention. Kindda makes it a senseless argument IMHO

gathering.gif