Outbound Mail and Departments

Hi

I'm a bit puzzled at how to set this up in the system..

We have four mailboxes and four ticket departments to match (e.g. projects, support..).

However in the configuration for POP in each of those departments you can't specify the sending server, only the incoming one. That's fine for picking up the inbound mail.

The problem this causes is that if I use the inbuilt SMTP clients won't see ticket replies because that is not the designated mail server for the domain. So they get marked as SPAM or canned altogether at the receiving end. We need to use the designated mail server.

In General Settings I can override that and specify the official SMTP server for the domain, plus the email address and the password. But that would seem to mean that all outbound email will always go from the same mail address since there's only one box to put it into, not one per department. Suppose we use "projects@" as the SMTP sender.

Thus someone emails support@, it gets piped into the Support department, we reply, and it comes from projects@.

If they reply to projects@ will it go back into support@ because it knows that the ticket exists?

(I can't actually get the SMTP configuration to work anyway - it keeps locking up and failing even though the details are right, but that's another thing.. I don't want to persist with that if even when I succeed, this set up won't work)

Thanks,

Mark

I've managed to get the SMTP configuration to work. I specified the sender as "projects@".

So all outbound email goes from projects@ however when the client's reply is piped back into the system it doesn't modify the existing ticket's department which in this case remained "Support", so that seems to work.

Hopefully now, the recipients' mail clients won't mark the emails as spam.