💡 Tech Article Schema for Knowledgebase Articles - Google Structured Data

davet

Doing a recent search Google search https://bit.ly/2Kv2kwJ I noticed the InMotion knowledgebase article comes up first.

Checking that article link with the Google Structured DataTesting Tool I noticed the InMotion articles has a "Tech Article" schema markup as follows:

TechArticle

@type
TechArticle
name
How to create a new Joomla 2.5 Administrator
headline
How to create a new Joomla 2.5 Administrator
description
Joomla 2.5 has reached its end of life as for 12/31/2014. Please be advised this may be a security risk to your website. You can view more information about the end of life here.When you manually install Joomla 2.5, the user account that is created is an administrator account. This means that this u
datePublished
2012-03-06
dateModified
2018-11-30T15:29:40-05:00
author
Brad Markle

Is there a way to add this to each knowledgebase article in WHMCS?

-Dave

They're cool like OG tags for Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc. but let me quote myself:

Simply put, what's the point in implementing this "SEO tactic" when WHMCS is not designed well from a SEO perspective? You need more than that to get decent results. But apart from that, of course you can implement this in WHMCS KB. All you need is an action hook. Sadly you also need a custom table to store all the additional values that WHMCS doesn't suport. For example "dateModified" doesn't exists on WHMCS unless you want to rely on this:

I was super curious about JSON-LD (that's how this technology is named). I started to work on it  and I can assure you that it will never work on WHMCS as it is. You need an enourmous amount of data to fill the schema so I'm afraid an action hook will never work.

As a reference, I'm integrating news and I need about 10 fields 8 of which are unknown to WHMCS (author name, role, organization, logo, featured image, date modified...). For KB it's even worse. I need at from 12 to 16 fields and WHMCS can only give me 3 of them. I'm still learning so for sure there's many more things that I'm missing.

Anyway I really like JSON-LD and for sure I will complete the integration with WHMCS. I want to see if it gives some kind of improvement. Probably I can finish today if my girlfriend doesn't realize I'm still working 🙏

Edit: Done 🥳 I managed to integrate Article, NewsArticle, BlogPosting and TechArticle. I'll let you know if I see improvements on search results.

Edited by Kian

• 3 years later...
On 4/24/2020 at 2:01 PM, Kian said:

I was super curious about JSON-LD (that's how this technology is named). I started to work on it  and I can assure you that it will never work on WHMCS as it is. You need an enourmous amount of data to fill the schema so I'm afraid an action hook will never work.

As a reference, I'm integrating news and I need about 10 fields 8 of which are unknown to WHMCS (author name, role, organization, logo, featured image, date modified...). For KB it's even worse. I need at from 12 to 16 fields and WHMCS can only give me 3 of them. I'm still learning so for sure there's many more things that I'm missing.

Anyway I really like JSON-LD and for sure I will complete the integration with WHMCS. I want to see if it gives some kind of improvement. Probably I can finish today if my girlfriend doesn't realize I'm still working 🙏

Edit: Done 🥳 I managed to integrate Article, NewsArticle, BlogPosting and TechArticle. I'll let you know if I see improvements on search results.

Did you saw any improvements on search results?

Hi  Davet,

You can create schema markup as you want but 3 thinks you can't add pulishdate , modifydate and author because these three information are not added by WHMCS. but you can create two columns in tblknowledgebase table with default values as the timestamp
on create and for modifydate use update timestamp onupdate 
for author you can use admin name 

for further information or plugin information reply to me.  because we have a plugin that allows you to do SEO on any page. with this plugin, you also create product schema. If you need article schema we can customize the plugin then it will generate article schema automatically only by selecting SEO type. No code is needed for that.-

Edited by Saroha

Hi Davet, 
          we release the new version of SEO SMO Manager 4.1 with autopilot SEO for products and knowledgebase pages. With this addon module, you can add knowledge base articles and product pages meta tags, and schema markup added automatically. 
and if you add SEO for a particular product or knowledgebase page then it overrides the autopilot SEO details.

To view the schema details and meta information with the Auto Pilot SEO Click Here and check that URL in the Google schema markup testing tool.

For purchase or to know more about the SEO SMO Manager addon plugin visit the SEO Manager page.