Editing A Template

ddg8176

Please forgive my ignorance... but I don't understand how to edit templates or which ones to edit... i.e. which folder to choose them from. I tried opening some in Notepad and Dreamweaver but it's just lines of source code. I don't mind working with code but I'm a little scared of accidentally changing something I shouldn't. If I try to view the template in Design mode, there are only a few words scattered on the screen. The default WHMCS pages are about the same width as my website's and I don't mind the icon looks either. I mainly just want to change the background image and the page header to match my site's logo, fonts, and colors.

Any links to information or advice on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you're opening the PHP pages, which are encoded. You need to work on the template files and CSS. To see which template you are using, go into your admin panel and click on General Configuration on the Configuration menu. Next to "Template" you'll see which one you're currently using. This set of templates is found in your whmcs/templates/ folder. It's a good idea to copy the folder you're using, then give the new folder a name which makes sense to you (myportal, for instance) then edit the files. This way, you can always switch back to the original template folder if you've made a mistake. If you simply want to change some colors, you can edit the style.css file in your current template folder. You'll probably also want to take a look at header.tpl and footer.tpl.

After some tweaking, you'll catch on. Meanwhile, feel free to post specific questions as they occur to you.

Uberhost: Thanks for your help on that... I have managed to change the header and add the same background I use on the rest of my site, as well as widened the center white area to my site's width. I am going to keep playing around with the CSS file until I get the font type and colors the same too. I do have another question about customizing... How do I get the center of the page which is the white area to stretch to the top and the bottom of the page so that the background image can only be seen on the left and right... like on my temporary homepage at http://www.goteehosting.com. Also need to add the green stripes on the left and right too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 10 months later...