Executing System Queue results in system/account lockup

For starters, I'm on a CloudLinux system and within CageFS.  I need to upgrade a few things to be php7+ compatible, but am using php5.6 for the time being.

When I have my account in the Native(php5.6) version (in php selector), things run "okay"... or, at least good enough for now.

When I change the account to run in the php5.6 shell, my wordpress install runs fine, but my WHMCS install changes to a 500 error in Apache.  I've tried every extension combination that I can think of, but I just can't get WHMCS running in the php5.6 shell.  Seems silly, as it runs okay in Native shell.

The reason why I keep playing around with this is because I'm having an issue while running the nightly cron job:  /crons/cron.php

All of my other crons seem to run totally fine, but this one stalls out on me AND locks up my WHMCS/account install. (see below)

Executing System Queue
----------------------

3/4 [▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░░░]  75% < 1 sec/< 1 sec 29.5 MiB

I've tried running this cron several different ways, but it keeps stalling out in the same spot.  I've double checked my server settings and anything and everything I could think of OR find referenced on WHMCS troubleshooting techniques.

So... long story short, can anyone offer up any suggestions on how to resolve this?

I've got the same cron error message, albeit on Windows 2012/PHP 5.6. The root cause of the cron issue for me is that the max_execution_time is being over-rode to 30 seconds for these System Queue tasks and they are timing out. 

WHMCS Support is pointing fingers at addons and includes, but it's the standard boilerplate text you always get from them that boils down to "It's not us, it's you" and since I cannot prove them wrong and cannot disable the addons as new customers are coming in all the time through the addons, I'm stuck.

Thank you for your input!  I'm not sure if that's what my issue is, but it sounds like your familiar enough with the error. I'll have to double check on the timeout!

The previous steps, up until that error, only take seconds. Why would the final 25% of the final test take so long? How long is the process supposed to take? 

I submitted a ticket to support, but never heard back. I believe that even though I submitted the ticket, I never submitted the "highly recommended" info on the second page. I never would have assumed that "highly suggested" would have prevented the ticket from going through ?