Renew domain names monthly

ecodata

We have a custom built registrar module. By default WHMCS appears to allow domain registrations of 1 - 10 years. We would like to provide an option to renew a domain name monthly - is this possible? If so, can you give me some pointers on how to go about doing this?

Domain Registration is a yearly lease to whomever snags it. You can not lease a domain name for less, but you can for more...but only in yearly intervals, commonly in 1, 2, 3 and 5 year blocks. Maybe! You are looking to purchase a domain so you may rent them that name? That would be odd though imo. If that is the case, you'll have to create a a product / service.

This link should help clarify domain registration process - https://whois.icann.org/en/domain-name-registration-process

We have a custom built registrar module. By default WHMCS appears to allow domain registrations of 1 - 10 years. We would like to provide an option to renew a domain name monthly - is this possible? If so, can you give me some pointers on how to go about doing this?

as USA Webmaster said, generally you can only register domains on a yearly (or multi-year) basis - I suppose even if you could charge a client monthly, you'd usually be expected to pay the registry the full yearly amount, so you'd be taking a financial risk by doing that.

WHMCS isn't setup to sell domains for less than a year, so there would be no simple way to do it out of the box.

possibly you could bundle it to a monthly hosting product, and set the domain to free when the product is renewed - and set the default domain price insanely high to avoid anyone trying to register it without the bundled hosting product... but that could turn into a messy workaround.

in my opinion, unless you're prepared to go through a lot of hassle with bundling or pay for a custom solution, it might be simpler to forget about the monthly option.