Custom Client Fields, with groups?

Hi,

I'm trying to set up my WHMCS so that it is easy for the user.

I'm not providing hosting as the main part of our website, the main thing we are doing is putting on film festivals, so the site will be used for film makers to submit their films, which is why I'm asking this question - eventually.

I'd like to be able to have the film makers have details on their films within their own client area, so that they don't have to give the same information for each of our festivals they submit to. I see the custom client fields, which is great if they have just one film, but if they have more than one, it would be good if they could have these grouped, so have the same custom fields in each group, and they name the group, so it would look something like this:

Film Title 1

Brief Synopsis

Length

Country

etc

Film Title 2

Brief Synopsis

Length

Country

etc

Film Title 3

Brief Synopsis

Length

Country

etc

If they can't name the group, that's not a problem, we can work around that, but just having the option of having them grouped would make this so much easier for the film maker.

If I have got too confusing, just say, and I'll write it again, making more sense.

Thanks.

I'm not providing hosting as the main part of our website, the main thing we are doing is putting on film festivals, so the site will be used for film makers to submit their films, which is why I'm asking this question - eventually.

i'm not sure if WHMCS would have been my first choice for such a task - I don't think that it would have been on the list of solutions to even consider. :)

I'd like to be able to have the film makers have details on their films within their own client area, so that they don't have to give the same information for each of our festivals they submit to. I see the custom client fields, which is great if they have just one film, but if they have more than one, it would be good if they could have these grouped, so have the same custom fields in each group, and they name the group, so it would look something like this:

Film Title 1

Brief Synopsis

Length

Country

etc

If they can't name the group, that's not a problem, we can work around that, but just having the option of having them grouped would make this so much easier for the film maker.

I don't think Client Custom Fields are a viable option here - they're really for details related to the client that are the same regardless of products/domains etc.. (I know you won't be using domains though)... in your example, they're going to all be different for each film.

what you might want to consider is creating a product, and within that product add your custom fields there...

http://docs.whmcs.com/Custom_Fields#Product_Custom_Fields

that way, when the film maker comes to your site, they can add a product to the cart and they'll be asked for the title, synopsis etc during the order process - they should be able to view that info in the client area, and you'll be able to see it in the admin area.

i'm not sure if you've thought of doing in that way, and you make have to tweak the design to make it look less like an ordering process, but from a WHMCS context, that would be the logical way to use the software to do what you want - short of writing a custom addon.

but this is such a weird use of WHMCS that I can't really get my head around how they would submit these films to a festival... ultimately, you might need to consider an addon for all this.