What are the disadvantages of using a template for your website?

ivaserver

Hi

I can see a big advantage of using a template for your main site, as it would be much, much cheaper than having a custom made website.

But what are the disadvantages?

if the theme provider goes bump are you left with a theme that will break eventually with whmcs updates?

Is there a way round this?

Is wordpress better than html?

Any advice welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

You have a dozen different different who will say two dozen different things.

I personally love WordPress. I try to use it for most of my projects because its easy to use, update, add/remove pages and has a lot of different plugin's and themes.

Now about using a template.

I am for using templates but you need to make it your own. Most people do not like using them but I feel like its completely fine as long as you make it your own. Some people do not like using them because it can open your site up for attack if you don't get it from a good source.

I know that's not so clear cut and kind of all over the place but those are my thoughts.

If you do use wordpress make sure you secure your site and make sure access is hard to get.

Chris

Hello,

I would say the advantages outweigh the disadvantages by far.

But the main disadvantage of using a template is lack of uniqueness, this can be overturned by making a lot of edits to the template to make it unique to your business. If you use a template you should modify it to represent your company/brand from the color scheme to the fonts it should be a smooth & consistent experience for your visitors.

Thank you for your helpful response.

Any thoughts on the following:

if the theme provider goes bump are you left with a theme that will break eventually with whmcs updates?

Is there a way round this?

Also as WHMCS updates quite often does using a template complicate the update procedure?

Edited by ivaserver