Cannot get custom fields to be shown in 'New Order Notification' email template.

-M-

Man, I am actually getting pretty frustrated with WHMCS in terms of the email templates. Probably I am doing something wrong, but I have no clue what.

It's especially frustrating now that I have WHMCS almost ready, except for the stupid email templates. And this is something I am bumping my head on over and over.

A simple example. I created a custom customer field called: BTW nummer.

According to the online manual you can display this field in the email template by using:

{$client_custom_field_btwnummer}

This is right, right? Because, and I quote:

To display custom client fields in the email templates, you can reference it by name using the format {$client_custom_field_fieldnamehere}.

For fieldnamehere, you need to take your custom field name, convert the name to lowercase and remove anything other than a-z 0-9 chars. For example "VAT Number" would become "vatnumber" once the space was removed, so the merge field would be {$client_custom_field_vatnumber} in the email template.

So the variable {$client_custom_field_btwnummer} should be the correct one to display the custom customer field called 'BTW nummer'?

But when I copy this variable into my "New Order Notification" email template and fill out a test order online, it doesn't appear in there and I have no clue what the reason is... It's driving me nuts.

Maybe I am just to stupid to comprehend, but it starting really to get on my nerves... :(

Man, I am actually getting pretty frustrated with WHMCS in terms of the email templates. Probably I am doing something wrong, but I have no clue what.

welcome to WHMCS - you get used to that feeling eventually... :)

It's especially frustrating now that I have WHMCS almost ready, except for the stupid email templates. And this is something I am bumping my head on over and over.

A simple example. I created a custom customer field called: BTW nummer.

According to the online manual you can display this field in the email template by using:

This is right, right? Because, and I quote:

So the variable {$client_custom_field_btwnummer} should be the correct one to display the custom customer field called 'BTW nummer'?

yeesss... but not all variables/arrays are available to all templates..

But when I copy this variable into my "New Order Notification" email template and fill out a test order online, it doesn't appear in there and I have no clue what the reason is... It's driving me nuts.

Maybe I am just to stupid to comprehend, but it starting really to get on my nerves... :(

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?107810-How-to-show-client-custom-field-in-admin-new-order-notification-email&p=442654#post442654

Support answered that not all fields available for this template and if I need my field there, I have to use EmailPreSend hook...

...Finally support answered that EmailPreSend doesn't work with admin emails, so unfortunately I can't do what I want using this hook.

as per our previous thread on this - http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?108367-Problem-with-if-in-notification-emails-Maybe-variable-not-used - if the custom_fields array/variables are not available to the email template, and the usual hook method can't be used because it's an admin email, I don't think there's a simple solution to this. :(

if you could use the welcome/invoice templates, that would be one way around this - but you have previously mentioned that you don't.

you could try reporting it as a bug (though technically it isn't), contacting support or making a new feature request in the requests page.

also, you might be able to use the API to send yourself a separate admin email, though you would probably need to query the db to get the BTW number for the order.

http://docs.whmcs.com/API:Send_Admin_Email

Edited by brian!