Refunds - preferred practice?

Troy

I'm new to WHMCS, having just been through a gruelling data conversion from AWBS to WHMCS.

I figure I should give Matt a break and start asking some lower priority questions in the forum.

So, my first is - how are you recording refunds? A search for refund here in the forums and the manual didn't really turn up much useful advice.

I realize I have to visit the gateway to issue the refund, same as in AWBS, but my question is more about how best to record the refund in WHMCS?

Do you just mark the invoice cancelled? I wish I could mark it refunded, as there is a difference. I also tried adding a line with the refund details and the invoice amount in negative, but that leaves the invoice total 0 but an amount of $8.95 due to the recorded gateway transaction (i.e. two invoice line items cancelling out the total, but still an amount charged in the transaction).

I'm not sure how best to handle this. I do want to store the refund details from AuthNet - but I guess I can do that in the notes.

Anyway, I'm curious how most of you handle recording refunds?

I don't see a clean way of doing it - certainly no way where you can report on the number of refunds you've performed, which is something state tax returns often need.

True, though WHMCS isn't an accounting program, and that's what auditors want to see when they come to your office (or reams of printed output). I've been through this with the State of California Franchise Tax Board, and the auditor spent a week on one of my spare PCs combing through QuickBooks.

I don't see a clean way of doing it - certainly no way where you can report on the number of refunds you've performed, which is something state tax returns often need.

True, though WHMCS isn't an accounting program, and that's what auditors want to see when they come to your office (or reams of printed output). I've been through this with the State of California Franchise Tax Board, and the auditor spent a week on one of my spare PCs combing through QuickBooks.

Hey it's nice to find someone else using WHMCS and Quickbooks! Just a question -- what approach do you take for entering your WHMCS based transaction into Quickbooks? I am thinking I will have to enter all activity manually, but if you have any ideas I would be interested to hear what you do.

I took a look at the csv files which WHMCS can export, but you would need to set up some mappings of the fields with Quickbooks.