How to "upsell" products and services when someone adds a domain to cart.

serendipity

I have a new V6 installation and I'd like to change the way a domain name is purchased. Currently the default seems to be you add it to cart, and then go to checkout where you type in your details and then off to the payment processor. The customer never gets to see options for adding ID protect or hosting.

I would like for the customer to be presented with very clear "would you like chips with that" style options to add ID protect, add hosting, email hosting, etc, before getting to the checkout page. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that most people would like to do this and there are some established best practice ways to go about this using product bundles or configurable options. I'm very new to this so I'm having trouble working it out.

Are domains products themselves? How do you create an upsell page? Is there an addon that can do this for V6?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone can suggest...

rather than using domainchecker, if you do it through the cart instead (perhaps using the Modern orderform template), the user will be given the ID Protect, add hosting etc options as they go through the ordering process.

cart.php?a=add&domain=register

there was an example for v5 that enhanced the ID Protection offer, that could possibly be tweaked to work for v6 and be a starting point to work from - though it might not be necessary depending upon what you actually want to do.

http://docs.whmcs.com/Enom_ID_Protection_Promo

Thank you! That's the functionality I'm looking for... not sure why that isn't what happens normally - is it because the domain spinner adds to cart, instead of using cart.php?

with v6, WHMCS streamlined domainchecker to have an add to cart, then checkout option - with the old v5.3 domainchecker, it passed the domain to the cart and you went the cart configuration steps.

actually, it occurs to me that you could still do that by modifying the six/domainchecker-results.tpl template and replacing ~line 21...

<a href="cart.php?a=view" class="btn btn-default">{$LANG.domainsgotocheckout} »</a>

with...

<a href="cart.php?a=confdomains" class="btn btn-default">{$LANG.continue} »</a>

that changes the button from "Checkout" to "Continue" and switches the link to the domain configuration page - so it would behave pretty much like the v5.3 domainchecker (without the option of seeing multi-year registration options)