Nominet Module stopped working...

CSNM-Carl

For some strange reason the Nominet module on our WHMCS has suddenly stopped working. We have been using it for a while now without any problems.

Nominet are sending the response back that the emails are not being PGP signed, I've changed the applications@ address in WHMCS to my own and the emails being sent are blank.

1. Nothing has changed on the server

2. We have changed nothing in WHMCS

3. We can successfully create a file in Nominet/tmp folder as 'apache' and subsequently signed it with our key (also as the apache user).

I'm at a loss at what it could be...? Any ideas at all?

Thanks In Advance.

C

I'm at a loss at what it could be...? Any ideas at all?

Yep, you've changed something on your server - software or permissions ;)

If you're getting blank emails then its failing to sign it, so not creating the .asc file to include in the email.

There is a later version of the Nominet module which will include the original unsigned if the signing fails, it might be worth asking Matt for that update.

In order to debug your current issue, I'd replace the gpg executable with a shell script which writes out the parameters passed, the user calling it etc, that shoudl provide the clues on whats wrong.

I'm still no further forward with this, I've got the updated module.

PHP seems to have the appropriate permissions to use the various PHP functions that are required for signing the email, and gpg itself works + has access to the right key (with the correct password)

I agree that something must have changed on the server unless it's some strange bug in WHMCS (could be possible, but seems unlikely).

I already know the blank email signifies that the signed email isn't generated properly, what I need to know is why it isn't generating. :)

The lack of an error log detailing this doesn't help either. :cry:

Hi,

We've started to have problems with this too, I had it all working up until we were doing final tests and it stopped sending the signed emails.

Running the test from the command line creates the signed file fine, I have the new module so at least were getting the unsigned copy to manually send for now.

Interesting.. perhaps it is WHMCS then?

Hi,

Ok, I have just added a passphrase to the key (modernbill did not work with a passphrase set)

If I try to run the following from the command line I get the error below:

echo {mypassphraseinthesebrackets} | gpg --no-tty --passphrase-fd 0 --clearsign ./tmp/nominettest.txt

gpg: no default secret key: bad passphrase

gpg: ./tmp/nominettest.txt: clearsign failed: bad passphrase

Hi,

Thats just it nothing has been changed at all on the server between having it working and then it stopping.

You've not run yum ?

You've made sure no cron jobs wget anything ?

You've not allowed fantastico or cpanel to run an update ?

Seriously *something* on your setup has changed, the modules working fine.

Hi,

Thats just it nothing has been changed at all on the server between having it working and then it stopping.

You've not run yum ?

You've made sure no cron jobs wget anything ?

You've not allowed fantastico or cpanel to run an update ?

*nothing* has changed with our setup/server, I really wish you would stop saying that. :)

I've been through everything, permissions are fine, I can generate manually all fine... We have been using it for weeks without problems and on Monday it just stopped working.

*nothing* has changed with our setup/server, I really wish you would stop saying that. :)

20 years software development tells me that never does software just "stop" working without something to trigger it despite many many many attempts at users claiming otherwise. And I'm still using the module exactly as i have been since its development, if it stopped on monday, try finding every filemodifies Sunday and Monday ...

The problem you are seeing is permissions based, so something *has* changed...

can you share the output from...

find /bin/ -type f -mtime -7 -print

find /sbin/ -type f -mtime -7 -print

find /usr/bin/ -type f -mtime -7 -print

ps auxf | grep httpd

find /root/ -type f -mtime -7 -print

find /home/nobody/ -type f -mtime -7 -print

find /home/apache/ -type f -mtime -7 -print

I too could generate manually fine until I added the passphrase back to the key, then started to get:

gpg: no default secret key: bad passphrase

gpg: ./tmp/nominettest.txt: clearsign failed: bad passphrase

thats missing the default section of the config for that user - see the other threads

I have searched the forum for other threads that cover the missing config but cannot find them?