Database Back Up/Cron Job Activity Emails Not Being Received..

Firehouse

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone else if having a problem with WHMCS not sending the Database Back Up and Cron Job Activity emails? Personally, I believe the issue is with Webmail as this is what is being used to handle the emails for our hosting business, and it's been randomly sending these 2 error messages the last couple days:

1. Error when communicating with the server

2. SQLSTATE(HY000) General Error:2006

MySQL Server has gone away

Thanks,

Laura

Are you seeing those errors within the WHMCS log?

Are any other emails being sent from WHMCS? i.e. invoices, messages etc

The mail is sent using basic authentication usually so unsure why it would be erroring....unless it simply cannot communicate with the mail server. However if this was the case no emails would be sent.

**EDIT**

This might be linked to your MySQL db rather than your email server. The emails could be a red herring. Can you do a health check on the db within WHMCS? (Utilities > System > Database Status)

Edited by CCSupport

The errors are being seen when logged into Webmail..Here's a what the activity log in the backend of WHMCS says:

Cron Job: Email Backup - Sent Successfully

- 05/31/2014 02:16 - System -

Cron Job: Backup Generation Completed

Cron Job: Starting Backup Generation

Cron Job: Starting Database Backup

Cron Job: Completed

Cron Job: Done

Cron Job: Starting Performing Client Status Sync

Cron Job: 0 Invoices Created

Cron Job: Starting Processing Overage Billing Charges

Cron Job: Done

so to me it's not a WHMCS issue, but Webmail as to why I'm not receiving them..I also tested WP-DBManager plugin that's on our Wordpress site, and yesterday it did send an database back up to Webmail, yet when I did a back up earlier it did not send it this time..

Not sure I'm understanding what you mean...sorry, could you elaborate a bit more?

I did test earlier sending a private email to the Webmail address, and it did go through..

- - - Updated - - -

Are you meaning changing the email address in the backend to a different one, and see if I receive them?

Sorry...yes, so, if you can, opt for a different email address that would receive the db emails etc. See if they get through.

Also, to take it a step further...if you have access to a different mail server you could change the outgoing server details and see if that makes a difference (under Settings > General Settings > Mail).

Okay :) I'll give your recommends a try, and see what happens. Thanks :) Usually I don't receive them until wee hours in the morning, so I won't know if it works until tomorrow..

"different mail server you could change the outgoing server details and see if that makes a difference (under Settings > General Settings > Mail)." Are you meaning like Outlook?

My apologies I just seen this "This might be linked to your MySQL db rather than your email server. The emails could be a red herring. Can you do a health check on the db within WHMCS? (Utilities > System > Database Status) " How do you do a health check?

All I see is a big table with some information in it..Site hasn't actually been launched yet..

Okay :) I'll give your recommends a try, and see what happens. Thanks :) Usually I don't receive them until wee hours in the morning, so I won't know if it works until tomorrow..

If you have access to where your Crons are setup (cPanel etc) you can change this time so you don't need to wait

Are you meaning like Outlook?

No :roll: You will need an email account that you can connect to using SMTP authentication so you would have to change the config within Settings > General Settings > Mail:

Mail Type

Mail Encoding

SMTP Port

SMTP Host

SMTP Username

SMTP Password

- - - Updated - - -

My apologies I just seen this "This might be linked to your MySQL db rather than your email server. The emails could be a red herring. Can you do a health check on the db within WHMCS? (Utilities > System > Database Status) " How do you do a health check?

All I see is a big table with some information in it..Site hasn't actually been launched yet..

I'd leave the db alone for the time being until you have confirmed if the issue is related for now...just in case ;)

Okay, changed the email address within the admin backend to receive the emails, and I changed the time on the only cron job listed in cPanel..and the time it was set for matches the WHMCS activity log from above post, but I'm not sure if the command line is correct or not (I'm assuming it is), but when I ran it the WHMCS activity log didn't change, and still did not receive emails..I'll try your second recommendation later on, as I need to get away from this for a bit..

Edited by Firehouse

I just tried a different mail server as well..but that didn't work either :( My hosting company contacted me last night in regards setting up an PTR record in order to correct this issue, but were vague as to what a PTR record is..Does anyone know and can explain exactly what this is, and if it's a good idea to let them go ahead with it?

Edited by Firehouse

I just tried a different mail server as well..but that didn't work either :( My hosting company contacted me last night in regards setting up an PTR record in order to correct this issue, but were vague as to what a PTR record is..Does anyone know and can explain exactly what this is, and if it's a good idea to let them go ahead with it?

/http://hosting.intermedia.net/support/kb/?id=1317

and a How to:/http://www.itworld.com/networking/362601/how-setup-reverse-dns-and-ptr-records

I am not sure personally what and how but these may help

/http://hosting.intermedia.net/support/kb/?id=1317

and a How to:/http://www.itworld.com/networking/362601/how-setup-reverse-dns-and-ptr-records

Thanks mlew2 for the links, and they did help me understand a little better about PTR records..I went ahead and informed my hosting company to go ahead and set it up...Hopefully, this will shed some light on the problem here with not receiving the emails..