upgraded to the new version, and all the customizations have been lost

Ambarella

Customizing the default templates is always a bad idea for exactly this reason. You should copy the style you're wanting to use, set your WHMCS installation to use it in settings, and customize that, anyway you wish.

If you had a development installation setup, updated it, and then noted the changes to the templates, you could then update your development install's templates first, to see how much work you had to do, in advance of updating your production site.

will it effect the new upgrade if i replace the style.css and bootstrap.css from the previous version using the backup ?

luckily im still in the customizing stage of whmcs hence there aren't any client records or important data, but when the site is fully operational and with the future upgrades, will it lose client records, data, billing records/info etc ? and will i have to manually restore them every time i do a software upgrade ?

Edited by Ambarella

You might do better to compare the old style files you've customized, against the latest versions of those files and make changes to the latest versions. And then upload them to your new, custom style directory you'll be using going forward. :)

Upgrades should cause no harm to your data, but it will make a mess of your style if you're customizing it instead of a copy of it, as suggested.

You need a development/duplicate setup to test things on it sounds like to me. If I was you, I'd look into getting that going. That way you're prepared in advance of doing an actual update on the live site.

GL!