What is the new policy on bug reporting?

Since WHMCS has implemented bugs.whmcs.com, how is this going to affect the bugs report forum?

The sticky at the top has not been updated to let us know.

I have reported numerous bugs through the new implementation, but they are not being posted in the bug reports forum by WHMCS so that we can all be on the lookout (since this affects our profitability).

In an effort to share pitfalls with other hosts, I was double posting to both places and got my hand slapped by WHMC_Chris.

So, WHMCS, please tell us how you plan to implement notifying us of potential bugs that might affect the functionality of our websites and our bottom lines?

Hello,

There's no hand slapping - I simply asked that it be posted in a single location, rather than doing it in both as it creates double the work for both parties. There is no official policy on which avenue to use, however it's appreciated if you use one or the other.

Thanks!

Hello David,

No - that is available internally only. The forums however display that - it's been truncating posts that are two weeks old however. Putting a stop to that as it makes it difficult to find reported issues when it's a rough every 6 week update cycle.

So, I'm here to review the bugs in 5.2.5 to see if any are show stopping from upgrading from 5.0.X due to the existing bugs in the releases thereafter. From what you are saying, one can report to the bugs area but those are hidden for whatever reason and those that are gracious enough to take the time to duplicate the report for public sake are attempted to be hushed? I understand going through duplicated bug reports can be an issue but there are several things you can do to prevent that, and this leaves me puzzled

1.) Why not open the reported bugs for public review so others with the same report can see it is already reported? This goes against your concern and would suggest something (in my opinion

2.) Why not only look at bug reports from the official bugs section and leave the forum as it should, open to the public to discuss them.

Are you trying to hide something? Nothing makes sense with your approach or method.

So, I'm here to review the bugs in 5.2.5 to see if any are show stopping from upgrading from 5.0.X due to the existing bugs in the releases thereafter. From what you are saying, one can report to the bugs area but those are hidden for whatever reason and those that are gracious enough to take the time to duplicate the report for public sake are attempted to be hushed?

No one is hushing anyone. An individual reported two or three potential bugs, in both areas - where it was simply not necessary to do both as both areas are reviewed - so utilizing the forum, or the internal reporting tool is sufficient to achieve desired results.

I understand going through duplicated bug reports can be an issue but there are several things you can do to prevent that, and this leaves me puzzled

1.) Why not open the reported bugs for public review so others with the same report can see it is already reported? This goes against your concern and would suggest something (in my opinion)

Not every report is a valid bug. Not every known issue is necessary to be made public.

ex: Case #2731 - Moderate is too long a word for Password Strength in Portal Template

- This is a very quick resolution (some changes in the formatting of the template), and not a show stopper.

If you've ever spent time on public bug reporting/tracking locations, they are commonly overwhelmingly inefficient at having either ample information, correct classification, work arounds that are valid, etc. They are, in my opinion, simply put - clunky.

2.) Why not only look at bug reports from the official bugs section and leave the forum as it should, open to the public to discuss them.

The forums are open discussion - no one is trying to diminish that.

Are you trying to hide something? Nothing makes sense with your approach or method.

Nope. Just trying to make things smooth for submitting/reviewing/addressing what is or isn't an actual bug. :)

Also, this isn't an actual policy regarding the way bugs are submitted - regardless of the title. In previous reports, there's been insufficient information supplied causing the need to dig/inquire to find more information. http://bugs.whmcs.com was created solely to provide a trackable, easily submit-able template for users to report issues directly to the development team. The format laid out is broken down in a very easily readable format, asking the questions that the development team needs in order to assess the issue the first time - rather than having to prod.

Edited by WHMCS Chris