Am I doing this right? WHMCS on own VPS, reseller account separate?

JohnnyMacD

Question

Basically I want to have whmcs on its own VPS @ around $800/yr with ssl, backups, and then have a reseller account with same host (HostDime) @ $440/yr. They offer the free whmcs license so I would not have to purchase it directly. Is this a valid setup or am i throwing away money unnecessarily. Is there a much better way to achieve whmcs independence/security from the client server? Also, is it disadvantageous to use the free license whmcs instead of buying direct?

2 answers to this question

Basically I want to have whmcs on its own VPS @ around $800/yr with ssl, backups, and then have a reseller account with same host (HostDime) @ $440/yr. They offer the free whmcs license so I would not have to purchase it directly. Is this a valid setup or am i throwing away money unnecessarily. Is there a much better way to achieve whmcs independence/security from the client server? Also, is it disadvantageous to use the free license whmcs instead of buying direct?

It is better to have WHMCS on a different server than your clients, so that if the client server has issues then you can still communicate with clients and also a security

Free licenses v Direct paid.

Free or resold licenses: are okay to get you started and at any time you can buy a license directly from whmcs and simply update your license. If you want to move to another server the company you bought or obtained the free license from will have to reissue your license, this cannot be done yourself, Although you will see the license details at whmcs and get support from whmcs, the license itself can only be managed by the reseller. Also you may have to buy any official addons you require from the reseller.

Direct Paid: There are certain things that you will need:

A dev license: for upgrading or testing out beta releases, you should never apply an untested update to a production box (your live system) dev licenses are free for direct customers of whmcs, they cost extra if your not.

You may want to resell whmcs: This cannot be done unless you are a direct whmcs client.

The best setup for a startup, in my own humble opinion. 2 vps (or 1 vps and one home server box), 1 reseller service that whmcs has a module for already.

In this case you would have one live vps, one dev vps and your clients would be provisioned on a reseller service somewhere away from either of your vps. The module in whmcs sends the information to the reseller service and your own system does the billing of the client. Bear in mind that most reseller services will require you to have funds in the account to charge you from. I have not found one that allows you to use a card on the account to provision with but there may be some that exist.

Edited by CDJ Hosting