Google shutting down Google Checkout on Nov 20, 2013

Basically US merchants (and only US merchants) can continue processing credit cards by applying for an application to accept credit cards through Google Wallet. Note that Google Wallet is a completely separate system from Google Checkout and requires the merchant to either signup with the new processor or they will be unable to accept credit cards in 6 months when Google closes Google Checkout. Therefore this calls for a need to add to the "things to do" list a need to create a payment gateway specifically for Google Wallet. See email below.

Link to Google Wallet Instant Buy API page - https://developers.google.com/commerce/wallet/online/

An update to Google Checkout

Hello,

A key focus of Google Wallet is to simplify and improve the commerce experience for merchants and shoppers. Just last week, we announced two enhancements to the Google Wallet platform. The Instant Buy API enables merchants to offer a fast buying experience to Google Wallet shoppers on their Android apps and websites, while processing their own payments. In addition, the new Wallet Objects API enables merchants to engage their customers with loyalty, offers, and more.

As we continue to build the Wallet platform, we must focus our priorities. That is why we are announcing today that we will retire Google Checkout. We remain heavily invested in building a platform that enables merchants to meet the demands of a multi-screen world where consumers shop in-store, at their desk and on their mobile devices.

I sell goods or services using Google Checkout. What does this mean for me?

Merchants can continue to accept payments using Google Checkout until November 20, 2013. We have partnered with a few best-in-class companies to provide you with discounted migration options, so you can continue to run your business with as little disruption as possible. provides everything merchants need to accept payments, and powers many of the fastest-growing online and mobile businesses around the world. offers a fully hosted online shopping cart so you can quickly and easily accept payments with top payment providers.

If you are a U.S. merchant that does have payment processing, you can apply for Google Wallet Instant Buy, which offers a fast buying experience to Google Wallet shoppers.

I am an Google Play Apps or digital goods merchant. What does this mean for me?

Sellers of digital goods on Google (Google Play, Chrome Web Store, Offers Marketplace and Google Wallet for digital goods) will automatically transition to Google Wallet and will not be impacted. Learn more »

If you are a user of the above products, but use the Google Checkout APIs for notifications or reporting, stay tuned. We will be announcing replacement APIs shortly and recommend you stop using the Checkout APIs as soon as possible.

Learn more about integration types, the best migration solution for your business and next steps on closing your Checkout account.

What this means for shoppers

There are no changes. Shoppers can continue to use Google Wallet to purchase goods wherever they see the "Buy with Google" button.

More details

• We will continue to process Checkout transactions until November 20, 2013. The last date for refunds will be December 20, 2013.

• After November 20, 2013, all order reports and history will be available for download.

• In order to help us disburse all funds to you and file your tax forms properly, please verify that your Tax ID and business name match what is shown on your income tax return.

• You will see slight changes to the Merchant Center as we go through this process with you.

I thought Google Wallet's "Instant Buy" service was for physical goods. There's a different service which Google Checkout users are being asked to switch to - if they only used Checkout for digital goods - which is Google Wallet for digital goods. Somewhere on Google's site I think I remember reading that there is no API yet.

The significance is that Instant Buy is expressly only for US-based customers, whereas Google Wallet for Digital Goods doesn't seem to have that restriction. None of it is terribly clear on the Google site though - it would be helpful if they documented what people should switch to, and how it's done.

I have been going back and forth with google support for the past 24 hours. The new google merchant wallet can not be used for hosting according to the support center. I have always thought that hosting was a digital service, but not accourding to google.

I thought Google Wallet's "Instant Buy" service was for physical goods. There's a different service which Google Checkout users are being asked to switch to - if they only used Checkout for digital goods - which is Google Wallet for digital goods. Somewhere on Google's site I think I remember reading that there is no API yet.

The significance is that Instant Buy is expressly only for US-based customers, whereas Google Wallet for Digital Goods doesn't seem to have that restriction. None of it is terribly clear on the Google site though - it would be helpful if they documented what people should switch to, and how it's done.

That was one of the reasons that I first called google. They put a ticket in to google merchant wallet as they do not take phone calls. The girl Lana responded from there and said it would be only for digital goods. Told her I provide hosting service her answer was that hosting service is not a digital good. Asked to get in touch with someone higher. she sent back link to google support went to link but no place to email or fill out a support ticket. Just a bunch of things to click on for canned responses.

Edited by ninak
left a letter out

Today I spoke with Alice at Google (1 855 WALLET6)

check your account and make sure that under Product type you have Internet etc. clicked and not just services if, you are engaged in web hosting and domain name registration. In order to continue using Google as your payment processor, may I suggest that you sign up for Google Wallet for Digital Goods.

Sellers of digital goods on Google (Google Play, Chrome Web Store, Offers Marketplace and Google Wallet for digital goods) will automatically transition to Google Wallet and so will not be affected by the closure of Google Checkout. Please follow the steps below on how to sign up :

Visit the Google Wallet for Business homepage.

Click on Get started.

Select Digital goods.

Complete the Signup Wizard.

If you need to verify that your account will be transferred call the number above (press 5 after initial call)

Now that the confusion is gone I can put google back on the web.

Have you gone through these steps on your own account?

The big question is whether the current WHMCS Payment Gateway for Google Checkout will handle Google Wallet for Business in exactly the same way, or whether we need a different gateway module once our account has been upgraded.

Given that fact that this notice from google says that merchants should switch to an alternate (they gave three in the email) payment processor and there is some vague information there about merchants that have another processor still being able to use the wallet, i would think there will be no such service from google to process card payments in the future for merchants.

I did hear a vague rumbling that google is converting their shopping system, IE, they will be listing product to sell. I cannot verify the accuracy of that im afraid. But if thats the case it does explain the way they have gone over the last year from checkout to wallet and no shutting out merchants etc.

I dont know for sure but i am sure you could find out from google. If you outline your specific case to google, EG: location, services you sell, how you use checkout and so on then i am sure they will be able to provide you with a definite answer one way or the other.

Have you gone through these steps on your own account?

The big question is whether the current WHMCS Payment Gateway for Google Checkout will handle Google Wallet for Business in exactly the same way, or whether we need a different gateway module once our account has been upgraded.

I switched it over this morning and this after noon it worked for a payment in my WHMCS. Don't know if this will change come November (maybe sooner) but for now seems to work fine.

I called the number that I have listed above and this is what I was told. Hosting is not a digital service on it's own. It is the internet and networking (which in a sense is digital) in conjunction with digital media. Therefore when you go to the dropdown selection for product you must choose Internet, Network, digital media. Nothing else. If you choose computer software or Service it will not work.

Edited by ninak

I did sign up yesterday and thought that it had switched over. Talking to the rep at google and I guess that it did not switch yet. It will automatically switch in November but we have to create and install the new API then for it to work properly.

This tutorial leads you through using the Google Wallet for digital goods API in your web app.

https://developers.google.com/commerce/wallet/digital/docs/tutorial#6

I can switch now if the new API is installed.

Not a programmer so when I looked at these instructions my head began to swim. I hope that the staff at WHMCS can work on this and add it to the next version.

Hi,

how you switched over?

i not see any option for switch

First log in to your google account and then go to http://www.google.com/wallet/business/

You will see a link to sign up. Once you put your name in It should bring up yor google checkout info. Verify that it is ok and click. (You will not be able to put in a callback url yet)

Now go to where it says how to get started. This should bring up https://developers.google.com/commer...ocs/tutorial#6

This tells you everything about the API and the token system and all. You have to create this and once you have done that the way that is good for you and tested it out in the sandbox you can go live. Once you go live you must cancel your checkout account, but if you have not yet done your API correctly you can continue to use the checkout till Nov. If your product settings are correct it will automatically switch over, but of course it won't work if you don't have the API.

My problem with this is you have to have products/pricing setup at wallet, This defeats the purpose of using an api surely. I mean, Setting it all up on our own systems first, then setting up all over again at google, then duplicating product changes, retirements, pricing changes.

Seems to me to be far more of a chore than the wallet is actually worth when you consider how many other gateways there are out there that simply manage your payments as you send them.