tax setup

Frankk

Hi,

I live in Quebec, from what I understand, I'll have to setup my taxing in 2 blocks 1 for Quebec and 1 for the others from Canada.

My Questions are: 1- When setting up states, do I put in state codes or full states names.

2- When setting up rules for states, can I put in more then 1, if so do I separate them with ( , ) or with ( ; ) or anything else?

3- What's the difference between Inclusive and Exclusive in tax setup?

Thanks a bunch!!

• WHMCS CEO

1. You should setup a rule for every possibility you think a client might enter

2. You should use seperate rules

3. Inclusive means the prices you enter include tax already and WHMCS then breaks it down to calculate the tax amount - exclusive means the prices you enter exclude tax and WHMCS just adds it on

Matt

Frankk, a good way around the province names is to create your sign up and account details with a drop down of provinces if Canada is the selected country. This way there would be no confusion with spelling or abbreviations resulting in lost tax collection.

To allow other countries to enter the state/province by hand, you should look into using javascript to accomplish this.

Good thinking Trine, was exactly thinking the samething... What about Typos, if a guy makes a mistake typing the province name...

I'll look into it, but if anyone else has pointers on doing this, I must admit I'm not that good with Javascript.

There are plenty of examples on the net ... just search for "dynamic dropdown" or similar with your favorite search engine.

Here are a few pointers...

1. the form doesn't have a name, so modify the template and add a name to the form if this simplefies things for you... ie:

<form name="myform" ....

2. the country field is called country, but does not have an ID. So you can either call it using:

a. Selected index of document.myform.country

b. To use GetElementById, assign an id to it (ie: <select name="country" id="country">)

c. Use GetElementByName, would not require any changes.

Then you should be able to quickly adapt any example you see on the net.

• 1 month later...

I have trouble when using the tax setup in WHMCS when a client want to pay with paypal subscription. It doesn't forward to paypal but get stuck in his client area instead and never generate the invoice. If using 2checkout, it goes alright.

I am using two tax also but wil 6 different rules for typos.

V 3.3.0

Best Regards,

Jean B