Good but missing some features I want

Boss

Some may think I'm being harsh with my heading but I am actually just being honest in my opinion.

I have just purchased the program after trying it out for 15 days and going through a number of setups etc. All in all it does the job but some basic things are not there that should have been the first things installed.

For example:

1. Have just found that the Admin requires you to use SSL all throught the Admin area. This is not normal or necessary.

2. Product sort order capability. Only in the last few days has this been thought of ???

3. No WYSIWYG editor in the product description, HUH?? Even a basic one should be there.

4. Why is the import of accounts so difficult from WHM and the Packages already have to be entered. I have a script that does all of this and a lot more (but not billing) and have had it since 2004. Not my script but the point is the ability is old news.

5. Instructions are fair but definitely do not explain in enough detail or in a lot of cases any detail.

EG: What does this mean, in the product Details "(Optional - Format: .yourending.extension)". What does this mean in the product options "Configurable Options".

6. To allow simple setup of new accounts from admin area and especially when first setting things up. Why can't I add domain names in without going through the transfer password option when I already control the domains etc.

7. Why does the WHM import script not pick up the all the domains attached to the accounts?

8. Domain names are not entered properly with the original creation date, expiry dates etc and no way to automatically update/correct these details.

9. The domain Date calendar should default, (when click on) to the date that is already in the date field, Not todays date.

10. Server Status details is extremely basic and could be a lot better at supplying useful information. For example a lot of configurations allow you to oversell the capacity allotted, there is no information like this. Where does it show the IP's allocated to each server? and so and so on.

11. Options to turn things Off like the Ticket Support and others. this is onl a basic if statement required.

12. Why, when a product is listed as a Free item, does all the Tax and payment options (C/C, CHQ etc) still show when ordering. If you move these items to a new group (Called FREEBIES) and set the payment available types to non the product can not be processed on the client side at all, it Errors "No Gateways Setup".

Most of these are so basic I don't understand them not being there.

These are some of the main short comings I have found first up and if implemented would go a long way to finishing and or tiding up the loose ends.

Cheers

P.S. I must rightly need to add this also.

Because of point 1 (above) I had need to call on the support (Matt), and he was very prompt and we did eventually find the problem, caused by me logging in on the unsecured URL. Thank you Matt.

Some of these are quite interesting indeed. For instance #6 (adding domains) is confusing for most newbies. If you have a lot of domains, I suggest adding them via the db. But there should be a better and easier way to add existing products like those.

Others like #7, you should probably open a ticket.

1. Have just found that the Admin requires you to use SSL all throught the Admin area. This is not normal or necessary.

Since you've sorted it I won't comment on that side of things, but I will say that you absolutely should be using SSL when using your admin area due to all the sensitive details. Especially if you're viewing credit card numbers.

2. Product sort order capability. Only in the last few days has this been thought of ???

So long as it gets added that's not a problem. Honestly if everyone thought of everything first time there'd never be new software:)

3. No WYSIWYG editor in the product description, HUH?? Even a basic one should be there.

Dunno why you'd want that, but if you do it's nice and easy to add in manually I'd expect, but sure, that could be an optional feature I suppose.

4. Why is the import of accounts so difficult from WHM and the Packages already have to be entered. I have a script that does all of this and a lot more (but not billing) and have had it since 2004. Not my script but the point is the ability is old news.

Not sure what you mean here...why would you want to import accounts without packages? It'd make things a nightmare I'd expect since they wouldn't be associated with products.

5. Instructions are fair but definitely do not explain in enough detail or in a lot of cases any detail.

EG: What does this mean, in the product Details "(Optional - Format: .yourending.extension)". What does this mean in the product options "Configurable Options".

I'd guess that means the domain for the account would be something.yourdomain.com. So if you wanted people's accounts to be a subdomain of yourdomain.com, rather than their own full domain name.

6. To allow simple setup of new accounts from admin area and especially when first setting things up. Why can't I add domain names in without going through the transfer password option when I already control the domains etc.

Agreed, a method to add things in separately without needing to make an order would be handy for people. We wrote our own scripts to do this.

7. Why does the WHM import script not pick up the all the domains attached to the accounts?

Not sure what you mean there.

8. Domain names are not entered properly with the original creation date, expiry dates etc and no way to automatically update/correct these details.

I wonder if this could be pulled out from whois info.

10. Server Status details is extremely basic and could be a lot better at supplying useful information. For example a lot of configurations allow you to oversell the capacity allotted, there is no information like this. Where does it show the IP's allocated to each server? and so and so on.

Not sure what you mean...WHMCS isn't an inventory system // why would you want to show your users anything more than the basic important info?

11. Options to turn things Off like the Ticket Support and others. this is onl a basic if statement required.

Remove the links to those pages from the client area is probably the best way. But cancellation requests and affiliate withdrawal requests open tickets...

12. Why, when a product is listed as a Free item, does all the Tax and payment options (C/C, CHQ etc) still show when ordering. If you move these items to a new group (Called FREEBIES) and set the payment available types to non the product can not be processed on the client side at all, it Errors "No Gateways Setup".

Agreed, that's a bit odd. For some things we do we just coded an alternative order system which used the WHMCS database.

Since you've sorted it I won't comment on that side of things, but I will say that you absolutely should be using SSL when using your admin area due to all the sensitive details. Especially if you're viewing credit card numbers.

There is certain areas in all admin areas of a web program like this, as you suggest client C/C details etc. But you don't need SSL for products and the like.

Honestly if everyone thought of everything first time there'd never be new software:)

Wouldn't that be nice. But the point again is long time in coming.

Dunno why you'd want that, but if you do it's nice and easy to add in manually I'd expect, but sure, that could be an optional feature I suppose.

Well for example a description area like the one I am typing in to now to answer this to give the line breaks when pressing enter, put certain words in red or blue or bold or Italic etc. Instead of just plain Text or formating in another html editor and then having to copy an paste the code.

Not sure what you mean here...why would you want to import accounts without packages? It'd make things a nightmare I'd expect since they wouldn't be associated with products.

The packages are already in WHM aren't they. So why isn't that detail automatically just picked up along with everything else related to the accounts and packages.

I'd guess that means the domain for the account would be something.yourdomain.com. So if you wanted people's accounts to be a subdomain of yourdomain.com, rather than their own full domain name.

This is exactly what I mean, you don't know and I expect a lot of others don't either, except the original creator of the option. Lot of good that does anyone. So we can't get the full benefit of the program or options

Agreed, a method to add things in separately without needing to make an order would be handy for people. We wrote our own scripts to do this.

This is my point, it's a basic function that is not their, why?

7. Why does the WHM import script not pick up all the domains attached to the accounts?

Not sure what you mean there.

A lot of accounts I have, have multiples of domains attached to them, not just a primary one.

I wonder if this could be pulled out from whois info.

Again a basic function that has been available for a long time, Yes it can be.

Not sure what you mean...WHMCS isn't an inventory system // why would you want to show your users anything more than the basic important info?

I'm sorry meant for the ADMIN/s only info.

Remove the links to those pages from the client area is probably the best way. But cancellation requests and affiliate withdrawal requests open tickets...

Remove links is currently the only way. But adding to this why isn't the template php so it could be more dynamic like that.

Agreed, that's a bit odd. For some things we do we just coded an alternative order system which used the WHMCS database.

This is all very well to code an alternate but even that only works so far and just does not cover it enough.

I thank you for your extensive comments and assistance where possible.

As there is so many things and issues here I thought this location would be the best place for the administrators to view it all.

1. - mine does not require use ssl. -

i have no issues (that i know of) what was yours?

I could not log into clients area either from the Admin area Clicking on "Login as Client"

Also had a lot of trouble logging in as normal client.

Especially using the Portal template with the side login option.

I have just found that no matter what there is still bugs with that.

With Portal template unless you are using the https URL, using the side login box it responds with an error saying login failure and redirects to the default login page.

HOWEVER if you click the Back button on the browser you will then find you are, logged in.

I also just found that you can not log out once logged in. No matter what you do.

EG: Click Logout link, then click the supplied Continue link, and your logged in again. Click the Logout again, this time click the Home button, guess what your logged in again.

Login should not require forced SSL use like this.

LOGOUT is just possible, a big bug. This happens on any template used.

• WHMCS CEO

1. Product sort order capability. Only in the last few days has this been thought of ???

So nobody has wanted to order products in anything other than price order before. This isn't something that's ever been requested before so if no-one needs it, why do you expect it to be added?

2. Remove links is currently the only way. But adding to this why isn't the template php so it could be more dynamic like that.

PHP templates would be much more difficult to use and customise for most users. The way it is now, logic and layout is completely seperate in WHMCS. You can edit everything the client sees via the templates, remove what you don't want, add in things that you do want, etc... Options to disable items and PHP templates are not needed and would not give as much flexibility as there is currently.

3. To allow simple setup of new accounts from admin area and especially when first setting things up. Why can't I add domain names in without going through the transfer password option when I already control the domains etc.

So entering a letter in the transfer auth code field to add a domain is too difficult for you? By having a seperate process, that is all you would save doing. No-one says it has to be correct, it's just required to add the order as on all occasions when adding domains except during initial setup it would be required.

Matt

Why not? It's very sensitive. IMHO SSL should be used throughout every single client/admin area page (ie - not the knowledgebase, etc)

Those bugs sound like browser issues. Working great here, and we've ripped out half the system and started again ;)

1. Product sort order capability. Only in the last few days has this been thought of ???

So nobody has wanted to order products in anything other than price order before. This isn't something that's ever been requested before so if no-one needs it, why do you expect it to be added?

Does this jog any memories from Nov 10, 2006? http://www.whmcs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1547

2. Remove links is currently the only way. But adding to this why isn't the template php so it could be more dynamic like that.

PHP templates would be much more difficult to use and customize for most users. The way it is now, logic and layout is completely separate in WHMCS. You can edit everything the client sees via the templates, remove what you don't want, add in things that you do want, etc... Options to disable items and PHP templates are not needed and would not give as much flexibility as there is currently.

I think the flexibility of the modifications within the templates is a better way to go for most and hope you keep it this way. Too many options to have to set for the setup would take away WHMCS's ease of setup that so many seem to like.

3. To allow simple setup of new accounts from admin area and especially when first setting things up. Why can't I add domain names in without going through the transfer password option when I already control the domains etc.

So entering a letter in the transfer auth code field to add a domain is too difficult for you? By having a seperate process, that is all you would save doing. No-one says it has to be correct, it's just required to add the order as on all occasions when adding domains except during initial setup it would be required.

Matt

Once again I believe that adding more and more ways to do tasks will then over complicate an easy to use program. It also gives room for extra bugs . Many like WHMCS because of it's ease of use without being bloatware.

Remove links is currently the only way. But adding to this why isn't the template php so it could be more dynamic like that.

Not sure what you mean here, I think you're a bit confused. Say you had a config option in the admin area to disable a page's feature...in the templates, you'd only need to enclose the feature's item with {if $featurename}...{/if} for it to conditionally show up - the templates use Smarty which is a nice and powerful templating system.

I've used ModernBill for years, tried AccountLab Plus, WHMAP and personally I feel that WHMCS is the best solution available. Although it's not perfect, and I hope for quite a few added features, it's very easy to modify and integrate into your site. AccountLab Plus is easy to integrate, but IMHO lacks compared to WHMCS.

Different strokes for different folks. I'll stick with WHMCS.

I do agree with some of the things you mentioned though.

Apart from anything else, as stated it's a basic function, just like the need to order groups. By the way ordering by price does not always work. I have products listed, first one has a cheaper price by $10 than second, third, forth, etc, but the first is put to the bottom of the list.

Why? Because the first one has options to pay monthly, 6 monthly and 12 monthly. Second, third, forth products etc only have the monthly and 6 monthly options.

Also it is not always the case that you want products listed by lowest to highest, in some cases it's better to have this reversed for example

PHP templates would be much more difficult to use and customise for most users. The way it is now, logic and layout is completely seperate in WHMCS. You can edit everything the client sees via the templates, remove what you don't want, add in things that you do want, etc... Options to disable items and PHP templates are not needed and would not give as much flexibility as there is currently.

Agreed the existing template system is pretty simple but like another user has commented, you tinker with templates to much, next thing you know an update comes out either a WHMCS update or a server side update and the whole thing can broken.

I have a whole website at the moment broken, because of server updates, that I spent months creating the way I wanted. Now it looks like I may have to start again. (PHP programmer required to fix this, any one interested please PM me. I'm only a hacker)

Matt

I did not know this and apparently neither does a whole lot of other people. This is another example of something that should and could be in the instructions but isn't.

It's all very well for the programs programmer to know all these things but if these details are not relayed in a simple instruction manual, it does make things a lot harder.

I personally would like to see the instructions updated with a lot of the tips and tricks that are spread out in the forum all over the place. That can be searched for but take a lot time to find if you ever find it.

Why not? It's very sensitive. IMHO SSL should be used throughout every single client/admin area page (ie - not the knowledgebase, etc)

Those bugs sound like browser issues. Working great here, and we've ripped out half the system and started again ;)

If it is a browser issue then I have problems three of my computers that all have essentially basic standard type browser configuration, 2 of are running XP pro another on tested on Win 2000. In each case also tested on both ie7 and FF. No additional firewalls except windows firewall and the router firewall. I have to keep things this way so I can test that things should be working for clients.

P.S. Dominic you seem to have just jumped in here and don't appear to really understand the issue, based on your reply.

Once again I believe that adding more and more ways to do tasks will then over complicate an easy to use program. It also gives room for extra bugs . Many like WHMCS because of it's ease of use without being bloatware.

I agree PPH. I have also used Modernbill and did not like it because it was slow and very complicated for no apparent reason.

I also do like this program that's why I decided to buy it. It's exactly the opposite to something like modenbill namely the bloated part.

But as stated there is basic functionanlity etc that should have been there from near the start.

I am not trying to be REALLY critical just noting my observations.

Been an annoyance to us for a while, and stops the one-page orderform being as usefull as it could be, but not exactly a show stopper as *most* clients would get directed straight to the product they select from your main site.

If it was a much needed feature before now someone would have requested it :P

4. Why is the import of accounts so difficult from WHM and the Packages already have to be entered.

Its quite possible to have 10,000 accounts on the same package as far as WHM is concerned and every single one of those actually having different limits and permissions - this is a "feature" of cpanel/whm and plesk that allows you to use the package for original creation of the accont and the account and then "modify" it afterwards.

I agree WHMCS *could* pickup the package names and details direct from plesk and whm which might save you a litle typing, but would still leave you with the "interesting" task of normalising your data/cleint setup otherwise allowing upgrades/downgrades can cause some fun support tickets.

Quite where WHMCS could be expected to pickup the remaining information about the package/product, like its price, payment methods, coupons, domain details, group information etc is unknown though.

How often do you add packages ?

For us package creation takes place as we incorporate more of our sites and services into using the one billing platform, or when we takeover another host ...

Maybe I've just used the internet for so long that subdomain hosting concepts are 2nd nature. It seems very obvious to me, and hopefully one day will be extended to have multiple domains available for subdomain hosting in a drop down box ...

When first setting up you'll probably find it quicker to import straight into the database rather than entering the orders - dependant on how many domains etc you're adding to the system.

Why should it, additional domains are a feature of the control panel, not of the accounting system - the clients *account* only needs to know about the main domain.

And if an "automated" feature to grab that detail from the whois/registrar is implemented , we'd need a way of turning it *OFF*.

When you bill for a domain renewal is not necessarily the same as when it needs renewing - for example we tookover another registrar recently, and are moving all the domains into our own registrar accounts from OpenSRS and NameCheap. This is extending the registration period by a year. We *MUST* have WHMCS still think the domain is due when the client is expected to pay for it, not 1 year later simply because we have merged it into one registrar account for adminsitrative reasons.

Any implementation of automatic sync of renewal dates will cost us £24,000 in lost renewal income.

9. The domain Date calendar should default, (when click on) to the date that is already in the date field, Not todays date.

Thats opinion, but I happen to agree :D

10. Server Status details is extremely basic

The server status information shown to clients is quite basic, but all *they* need to know.

The server information shown on the admin dashboard really exists to help you plan deployments and ideally should also include disk and ram details.

If you want to "monitor" your servers use a product designed for the task like nagios.

Where does it show the IP's allocated to each server? and so and so on.

WHMCS doesn't know that information at present, but I'm sure it will be added eventually now it supports the creaion of hosting accounts with a fixed IP.

Again, it comes down to opinion. My opinion is that it should be able to interface into other ticket systems and so the links go to the appropriate pages of that system, and stats are pulled form that systems database.

Is the product perfect - no

Does it do everything it needs to yet - no

Is it well supported - yes

Is there a loyal vibrant clientbase - absolutely

My experience is that Matt & co are very receptive to feature suggestions, and enhancement requests.

The few critical missing functions and concepts that were needed by Othello were coded at a very reasonable cost, and incorporated into the main productline which ensures that you all get the benefits.

There are whole lot more that I would like to see added (my wishlist is currently at 172 items), and my suggestion is that if you find something missing or inadequate for your needs, you get a quote for getting it added to WHMCS.

I know Othello will be getting some more facilities added after the summer ... some top priorities for us are:

* ability to merge WHMCS installations

* multi-currency, multi-installation, pricing by region

* client mailing list management

* yet more coupon options

* integration to supporttrio

* inter-related products and services

and several I'm not prepared to discuss on a forum.

For those WHMCS add themselves - great, job done :D

For others, whether we develop inhouse, or we "sponsor" will depend on how important they remain later in the year.