Domains renewed with 0.00 valued invoices

aquiss

I wonder if someone, a lot more clued up on the domain side, can offer some pointers to what steps we have done wrong with domain registering/renewals?

For reference we still on whmcs v4 and have it used it without trouble for over 2 years to do other forms of billing. We have our own Nominet TAG. We have setup the module details and I can see it's talking fine between whmcs and nominet.

I transferred 5 staff .co.uk domains into the system (using the cart) to get testing started, thinking we had nailed this yesterday (everything looked good).

Domain pricing (all based on 2 year cycle) has transfer price set as 0.00 for .co.uk (actual pricing has been set for registering and renewals). We have synced up the expiry dates with nominet (so various dates in future) and got emails confirming updated expiry dates. Bingo I thought.....everything ready to go for when these dates come around.

However, overnight the system has raised invoices for 0.00 and renewed the domains with nominet for 2 more years. None of the staff domains were actually due anytime soon (expiry dates were in 2013). I checked with Nominet and the dates have been set to 2015 (ok we can easily sort that with nominet, which we have done and now dates are back to 2013 again).

What I am trying to work out is:

1) Why did invoices get raised this far away from renewal expiry dates.

2) Why did invoices get raised at 0.00, thus marking as paid instantly (and I presume auto renewing), rather than the pricing set in the renewal.

I notice on the domains themselves that First Payment Amount is set to 0.00 (which I am presuming is where the invoice figures comes from).

Many Thanks for any pointers offered.

The transfer price of £0.00 in Domain Name pricing is correctly configured

It sounds to me like the orders created from the transfer are sitting as pending, as a result a repeat invoice is being created

Take a look at the daily cron job you received and see what Domain Name tasks were processed

Otherwise, it will be the renewal date field in the Domain Name itself

There are three date boxes

Therefore post one Domain Name (no need to give the Domain Name itself) dates and their current entries

Example :

Registration date 04/05/2009

Expiry date 04/05/2014

Next Due Date 04/05/2012

As for the Auto Renewing, this comes from the module being permitted to do so, from the General Settings

You might want to remove the tick to prevent future transfers being processed and you can then process them manually and checking the log to see if this action finally ceases, when it does reactivate

Thanks m8internet for the quick reply.

The transfer price of £0.00 in Domain Name pricing is correctly configured

Noted....i can ignore that bit then.

It sounds to me like the orders created from the transfer are sitting as pending, as a result a repeat invoice is being created

Take a look at the daily cron job you received and see what Domain Name tasks were processed

Today's cron shows:

0 Upcoming Domain Renewal Notices Sent

Otherwise, it will be the renewal date field in the Domain Name itself

There are three date boxes

Therefore post one Domain Name (no need to give the Domain Name itself) dates and their current entries

Example :

Registration date 04/05/2009

Expiry date 04/05/2014

Next Due Date 04/05/2012

Registration Date 03/05/2012

Expiry Date 28/06/2013

Next Due Date 28/06/2013

As for the Auto Renewing, this comes from the module being permitted to do so, from the General Settings

You might want to remove the tick to prevent future transfers being processed and you can then process them manually and checking the log to see if this action finally ceases, when it does reactivate

Noted.....and done for safety.

That's rather unexpected, the cron hasn't created any Domain Name renewals or Invoices

I assume these five Domain Names do not have any other products / services connected to them

There are still a few other configuration that may cause this is

Setup > Automation Settings

Scroll down to Billing Settings

Click on Advance Settings

The Per Billing Cycle Settings and Domain Reminder Settings then appear

Do these settings look correct (normally blank for Domain Name)

Is there a tick in the Payment Reminder Emails ?

Let's look at the Unpaid Invoices

Billing -> Invoices

Search / Filter, search for Unpaid and then Overdue

Are there any in here, you didn't expect?

That's rather unexpected, the cron hasn't created any Domain Name renewals or Invoices

Apologies, i only included a small portion of the job. Full log is:

Cron Job Report for 04-05-2012 05:25:03

39 Invoices Created

Late Invoice Fees added to Invoices #xxxxx (invoice number removed)

13 Overdue Invoice Reminders Sent

...snip....names removed....snip....

0 Upcoming Domain Renewal Notices Sent

0 Cancellation Requests Automatically Processed

I assume these five Domain Names do not have any other products / services connected to them

Correct. Just raw domain names without any other service/product.

There are still a few other configuration that may cause this is

Setup > Automation Settings

Scroll down to Billing Settings

Click on Advance Settings

The Per Billing Cycle Settings and Domain Reminder Settings then appear

Do these settings look correct (normally blank for Domain Name)

Every box is presently blank.

Is there a tick in the Payment Reminder Emails ?

Yes, ticked.

Let's look at the Unpaid Invoices

Billing -> Invoices

Search / Filter, search for Unpaid and then Overdue

Are there any in here, you didn't expect?

Presently 188, but all look as expected.

There is no reason for the Domain Name renewal notice, invoice, and subsequest module processing

Everything looks to be in order, so put the previous setting back as it was (Post #2 Auto Renew)

Do you have other Registrar modules in operation?

If so have you checked these? (ie that the .uk are using Nominet and not any of the others)

I don't use any Registrar modules and process Domain Names manually

When an order comes through it sits in the To-Do-List

I assume this does not occur with your orders

If it does, then I suspect what is happening is the date starts off as 00/00/0000, the cron then runs processes the module, the subsequent renewal, and then imports the renewal date received

I would suggest you submit a Support Ticket to WHMCS to verify where exactly the issue resides, as it may impact actual .uk transfers into your account

Furthermore, try a further test for a .uk transfer (something fictional, I use test-control.co.uk)

Take a look at the dates, see if any are 00/00/0000 and if there is an item in the To-Do-List