Where to install

Hello everyone,

New member with thousands of questions, I have already installed WHMCS and set tons of things but now I'm looking back and thinking if I installed it in the right (or best) place, currently my install is located in www[dot]mysite[dot]com/clients/ and I'm having second thoughts, isn't it just better to install it in the very root like straight to www[dot]mysite[dot]com?

What are the best practices or what is the most common method?

Thanks for any help provided :)

Hello Steven,

That would depend on your plans for WHMCS. There's no right or wrong answer really. Some people prefer to install on root and built their website using WHMCS's templating system. Others prefer your current setup which would allow you to use either a static website on root or a CMS based website with a matching WHMCS integration.

Jack

Well, based on both answers I'll stick with where/how I have it now, I need to create a lot of static content eventually WHMCS independent, mostly for SEO purposes, the only bad thing is I had a very hard time implementing my header and footer in one of the template files and it was looking all weird, I guess I'm gonna have to try harder,

Thanks so much for the help :)

I'm going to install in the root, rename index.php to something like clients.php and not use the WHMCS templating system at all except to make WHMCS look like my site, then I just mix in my site files making sure I don't have any pages the same name as any WHMCS files.

No sub directories or subdomains and more control over the site's SEO.

I'm going to install in the root, rename index.php to something like clients.php and not use the WHMCS templating system at all except to make WHMCS look like my site, then I just mix in my site files making sure I don't have any pages the same name as any WHMCS files.

No sub directories or subdomains and more control over the site's SEO.

Have you tested this? I'm pretty sure there are a number of files that depend on index.php being named just that.

Also, you have to remember that upgrades are going to be more difficult as well.

We use .htacess rules.. ie our index page is not the front end of WHMCS, most of our other pages are .hta defined too.

You got to remember that WHMCS is a CRM type solution not a CMS.. most people dont understand that and you get crappy looking sites, even sites that look good but then are terrible on their inner and inner cart pages. This is also wy it is not good to buy WHMCS templates, most of the people making them just style the defaul pages.

A good instalation and desing will yield almost no recognition to WHMCS fo a normal user.

How would having whmcs independent from your main site effect seo?

tripler, It wont affect it directly but since I am new to WHMCS I rather keep it for its main purpose, which if I'm not wrong its to manage my hosting accounts, my clients , the support system and billing among other things, I just don't want every single page on my site depend on WHMCS, that way in my case, I find it easier to create more content and optimize it for the search engines (who am I kidding, for google!)

BTW I changed the htaccess.txt file to .htaccess to (supposedly) make SEO friendly URLs within WHMCS but nothing really happened, the documentation didn't mention any other additional steps, what do you think I'm missing?

• 2 weeks later...
Have you tested this? I'm pretty sure there are a number of files that depend on index.php being named just that.

Also, you have to remember that upgrades are going to be more difficult as well.

Official word from WHMCS: "index.php can indeed be renamed."