few client needs before I'm all in

mgirgenti

I am an managed service provider (tech support on contract) that like most of our group has added system after system. I am regrouping, trying to find one or two systems to run the business.

I do some domain purchases and/or hosting, some ssl, but not much. I use LiveDrive, and the commercial plugin from WHMCS to LvieDrive works really well. I have very complicated MSP software that is a love/hate relationship, but I only use about 30% of its features. The monthly cost and separation from billing and automation is getting annoying.

I need 3 main things in WHMCS that seem to be lacking.

1. track assets or network configuration by customer or site
  2. monthly contacts with pre-paid support (see below)
  3. pricing per product with per customer overrides

The pre-paid support is a little odd. For example, one client has "core network" support which includes 4 hours of work each month for questions and maintenance. They do not roll over (yet). As we do work for them, the tech simply enters his time, and assocaites the ticket to the "core network" if appropriate. The system determines if the time is billable or not (first 4 are free, everything else if billed). The tech process never changes and all tickets/documentation remains the same. If we do work on the server, the contract is NOT specified in the ticket since it isn't under contract, and all work is billable. the kicker is the 4 hours "pre-paid" repeats every month, expiring at end-of month. If we do 1 hours one month and 10 the next, the first month has a $0 invoice generated and 2nd month has a 6 hours billable invoice generated.

Are the missing items possible? Are there commercial add-ons for any of them? I had project management on my "missing" list, but that has now been resolved by WHMCS :-P

I am looking at dropping 3 or 4 other pieces of software and get everything running on 2 (WHMCS and a Remote Management Suite). Quick books on the back end, but I have that covered already and no one other than the me and the CPA would need that.

Thoughts?

I am willing to pay for some of the customization, although I have no idea what a WHMCS module costs.

Thanks - Matt

Anything is possible with the right amount of customization.

I'd suggest making a post in the Marketplace section of the forum with the full details of what you're looking to have done.

As far as cost, it really depends on the developer who takes the job, and how much work is involved. I've done small modules for as little as $100, all the way up to large projects for several thousand.