Lots of Custom Fields

Iceman

Hi All,

I've been having lots of fun setting up our client area. Here's where it is at so far. At present we are using 27 custom fileds :lol:

It took a bit of learning of of the Smarty Template engine etc but we have found that about 95% of what we would like to do can easily be done with a little hacking here and there.

We are integrating WHMCS in stages, so I won't post our full Integration just yet.

A link to a part screen capture of our current Client Account Details area is here for your amusement.

accountdetails.jpg

Cheers,

Paul

Hi,

AtlGirl, it's very customised so not sure how easy it would be for anyone else to actually follow what was going on with it all etc :). I'll see if it's possible though once we get everything woking the way we want it.

Jay, yes the shown page (above) is what the client can edit in the Client Area. Some are required when ordering, and there are other hidden fields that are used for admin purposes only. The added fields all use the "Custom Fields" method.

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks everyone,

I started out making some initial minor changes and the whole thing just grew as I understood more of what was possible....lol.

I think the template file may be too complicated for the "average" user. However, once finalised we may release it to anyone interested.

The big problem is that the smarty code/php/javascript is tied together in some areas and also links to custom fields that need to be setup in the WHMCS database i.e in the same order, or at least anyone editing the template needs to have an understanding on how to link to the correct custom field in the database.

I'll try and setup a temporary demo account in the near future so people can see the potential of what can be done with the templates. I'm a little busy at present but I'll post details here when I have a bit more time.

Cheers,

Paul

• 7 months later...

Actually, I suppose it's a little obsolete now. Especially with the other contact details that are now able to be entered. :) We still haven't activated full functionality of WHMCS yet, so our client area is going to require some major changes again before it goes live! lol

Cheers,

Paul

Iceman,

One suggestion, you may want to add a "Current Password is:" box, and put "not displayed for security reasons." It will make the client feel happy, knowing that the password is secure, as well as it will make it a little bit more clear that the password area is for change password only. Sometimes when you fill out a form, you need to enter your password to submit the form. I can see stupid clients thinking that they need to enter their password.

How does your order signup look? Mind PMing a link so I can look at the create a user account page (I will only go as far to the create a new account page - no test orders).

I thought about doing a full integration with WHMCS, but I'm afraid about implementing updates to template files. I'm still new to WHMCS, so maybe after I get a feel for how updates are handled, I'll decide what to do about full integration.

Hi RPS,

We did have a modded version online but after several upgrades we haven't had a chance to re-mod it to work properly with 3.5.1, so the one visible (and inactive) at present is only the stock standard one. :lol:

Our goal was to get the billing automated, and then allow for client changes and orders to be placed using WHMC, in that sequence.

Having said all that, our test signup form had certain things removed/altered. In particular, the country. This was selected first to calculate the tax. This meant we were then able to show the correct price INC. GST in Australia, or EX. GST if not. :)

We then also did a lot of price alterations based on this, so that all prices displayed, subtotals, the lot basically, included the AUS GST (if in Australia).

When we get to the order templating stage once again I'll try and remember to let you know so that you can have a look at it. (Maybe a couple months or more away, though).

Cheers,

Paul