Support email not creating tickets

Hi, I'm not sure whether it is something I'm doing wrong, I was hoping to move from Kayako to whmcs for the support as well, I have setup the piping, however when I email it, no ticket is created, I then look under the log and it says Ticket ID Not Found, so I am gathering whmcs won't create tickets if an email is sent to it? If not is there something im doing wrong?

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Actually there is a very good reason I'd like to be able to create tickets from the admin email which may not have occurred to you.

If I've been sent an email with a detailed conversation in it, sometimes I want to convert that into a ticket by forwarding into WHMCS so I remember (both the details in the conversation, and the action). When I or my team come to work on it, the link to the actual customer will be changed. While I could achieve this same outcome by copy and pasting, it makes for a lot more fiddling around.

It's kind of broken behaviour to silently discard the ticket; I'm sure it's not intentional. If a ticket is not generated an email should always be sent back saying it bounced so the sender can be aware of the failure to process.

>>Actually there is a very good reason I'd like to be able to create tickets from the admin email

Agreed. if it were possible, for instance by adding a tag to the subject line like:

"[Add Ticket:email@dom.com] Original Subject Here"

and the ticket system would need to verify that the ticket is from the admin/ticketing email, but that shouldn't be too hard.

>>It's kind of broken behaviour to silently discard the ticket

Although, from what I have seen, the ticket log does show some detail as to what happens, but I agree here too, that there should be some mechanism, to alert a failed ticket request, perhaps having it redirected to another mailbox on the system for manual inspection. I do see that there is loop control, but for some reason, we have seen it disregard a few legit email tickets for no apparent reason.

>>Agreed. if it were possible, for instance by adding a tag to the subject line like:

"[Add Ticket:email@dom.com] Original Subject Here"

and the ticket system would need to verify that the ticket is from the admin/ticketing email, but that shouldn't be too hard.

That's nice, but overkill for what I want - for now the same functionality could be achieved now by allowing the admin email to create tickets. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see why that's not possible.

Of course, a workaround here is to rename the admin email, but that shouldn't be needed.

>>It's kind of broken behaviour to silently discard the ticket

The discarding is silent, that's my problem, and Cerberus certainly handles this correctly (bounces or creates ticket). Loops is another thing - but this isn't a special case as far as I can tell - WHMCS could see loops from emails to customers just as much as emails to admins (who should know better, of course). Obviously message-id helps, and rejecting mailer-daemon messages helps.

On a related topic, re spam and confirming the email address exists, no response automatically means the email address exists. A bounce of the right type would show it doesn't exist, but that of course is out of the question!

Brian, could you explain the way you'd envision the admin-ticket open?

As far as the silent discards, that does need a good look.

(Side note: We had another reported one today. Client said they sent an email, I see it in the exim_mainlog as successfully delivered, but the ticket mysteriously never made it into the db. We are using pop method).

Even if the admin tickets sent in by admins were owned by some other user, that could work; they'd often get reallocated anyway.

Perhaps a setting for the silent discards could work, although I don't think they add much in terms of protection from spammer (the fact they're silent indicates successful reception for the most case).