adding an existing domain to client

jerett

Can someone help me on how you would add a domain that is already within your registrar service to a client in WHMCS so they can manage it? The only options I see is to do an order - however - the only options is new domain or transfer. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Jerett

Wow - after that interesting read - I find there is no clear cut way of doing it. You basically have to create a false order. But my question - is - how do you do this if your order form won't accept the domain because it has already been registered?

• WHMCS CEO
Can someone help me on how you would add a domain that is already within your registrar service to a client in WHMCS so they can manage it? The only options I see is to do an order - however - the only options is new domain or transfer. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Jerett

When adding an order for an already registered domain, just use the transfer option.

Matt

If the domain is already registered and you want to add it to the system, use transfer while placing the order. If it is already in use in your whmcs install you may need to goto your admin configuration and change the setting that allows you to register a domain already in the system.

Or add it to the DB as trine mentioned :)

• 3 months later...

Thanks,

Jerett

When adding an order for an already registered domain, just use the transfer option.

Matt

Perhaps I'm missing something? Transferring a domain is not without implications. Specifically

1) It forces a 1 year domain renewal, which means we would need to stagger each "import" to coincide with when the client is ready to renew their domain (doable, but perhaps not our ideal migration strategy)

2) It requires the use of a Domain Transfer Secret, which must be brokered through the client. Explaining to the client that we are going through the motions of a transfer, and thus require their transfer code, *while not actually transferring the domain* is bound to create confusion. While not all migrations can be transparent to the client, this seems uncommonly awkward.

I'm going to try the DB method, but having the ability to directly add domains which all ready exist in one's registrar profile would be an attractive feature future versions.

1. If you don't have automatic registration on then it won't renew anything. And if it's a manual order you place with no invoices sent out then there shouldn't be a charge to the customer?

2. make something up ... if you're not going to submit it as a transfer request whmcs doesnt care what you put in

This is just my experience, Matt can probably explain better or correct anything I got wrong.

1. If you don't have automatic registration on then it won't renew anything. And if it's a manual order you place with no invoices sent out then there shouldn't be a charge to the customer?

2. make something up ... if you're not going to submit it as a transfer request whmcs doesnt care what you put in

This is just my experience, Matt can probably explain better or correct anything I got wrong.

Aah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. Obviously, I'm still figuring out how all of the pieces fit together!