Trouble with Managing Domains

Hi, I love WHMCS, and running my web hosting business, but I am struggling with the domain registration part of it. I'm not happy with the experience my customers have when dealing with domains. Below I outline what I have, the features I am trying to set up, what I don't understand, etc. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance

Current System

- I am using WHMCS, and an Enom domain reseller account.

- Clients can login and register domains. They can add hosting if they want. Domains are automatically pointed towards my custom nameservers.

- Registered domain without hosting display a "server not found" message when viewed.

- Clients must email me and request authorization code if they wish to transfer away.

- Transferring to my system leads to errors, and transfer are not successful.

My Desired Features

- clients need to be able to put authorization code into form and transfer domain to their account with me.

- Able to register domain names without getting hosting, which then automatically displays a "coming soon" message when the domain is viewed.

- Able to login to their account, and point their domain at whatever nameservers they want.

Suggested System

- Point all new registered domains towards Enom's nameservers. Set up "default host records" to point unhosted domains to, so that a "coming soon" message appears.

- Use a hook to make DNS management automatic. Since I will be using Enom's nameservers, DNS Management will then supposedly appear in the client's account.

Questions:

What are "default host records" and how do I set them up?

What if somebody registers a domain but doesn't get hosting. Then, later, they get hosting for the domain, do they need to update the namerservers that the domain is pointed at?

What else do I need to know, and are their any potential issues with the concept I am considering?

- clients need to be able to put authorization code into form and transfer domain to their account with me.

Pretty sure this is already present on: cart.php?a=confdomains

"This needs to be obtained from the current registrar for authorization"

- Able to register domain names without getting hosting, which then automatically displays a "coming soon" message when the domain is viewed.

You could setup a default a name record to a "coming soon" page.

- Able to login to their account, and point their domain at whatever nameservers they want.

Pretty sure this is already a feature, it could depend on your domain reseller module.

"Nameserver Changes are possible with all built in registrar modules allowing both you and your clients to view and change the nameservers their domains are pointed to in real time."

>- Registered domain without hosting display a "server not found" message when viewed.

Expected, it means you've not created a DNS zone for the domain, and pointed it at anything

>- Clients must email me and request authorization code if they wish to transfer away.

Then you've misconfigured the TLD whe you added it to WHMCS

>- Transferring to my system leads to errors, and transfer are not successful.

Then you've misconfigured the TLD whe you added it to WHMCS

>My Desired Features

Are all either already built in or possible with the suggestions people have made to you

>What are "default host records" and how do I set them up?

1. you buy a copy of DNS & BIND

2. you read the help at http://www.enom.com

>later, they get hosting for the domain, do they need to update the namerservers that the domain is pointed at?

Yes