Provision subdomain automatically for every new user

taylorn

Hi everyone

I will try to explain this best I can :)

My web host has disabled the http://IPADDRESS/~username/ "for security reasons" so the only way to access a clients website is to open their domain which can be annoying if their domain hasnt propagated yet, or they didn't get a domain (I have free hosting products that don't come with a domain)

I worked out how to offer a free subdomain at time of purchase, but it's either one or the other (domain or subdomain)

So what in would like is be able to get a domain, and also a subdomain (username.mydomain.com) for temporary access, and as I said before, if they don't have a domain.

Basically I would like this done automatically, so the clien doesn't get a choice. They are given a subdomain of my domain automatically

Please let me know if this can be done, and how :)

This is quite simple, create a domain (under domain pricing) called yourdomain.com - it will function similar to a ccTLD and then when clients register theirname.yourdomain.com, cPanel will set it up like that

Thanks for the reply :)

This would allow the client to choose a subdomain of my domain only, it wouldn't allow them to get a domain (http://www.customerdomain.com) and ALSO a subdomain of my domain (customer.mydomain.com)

:)

Ahh ok.

Well I still want their primary domain to be their own, I just want a subdomain created secondary - on the side sort of :)

yes this works, however the domain you want to use as the subdomain has to be on the same name servers.. or you can point to it via an A record change.

• 3 weeks later...
This is quite simple, create a domain (under domain pricing) called yourdomain.com - it will function similar to a ccTLD and then when clients register theirname.yourdomain.com, cPanel will set it up like that

Hi SoftDux,

I wonder if you could give me a hint why cPanel/WHM wouldn't create an account for a subdomain registered the way you have described above? Should the registrar be set to "none","email" or else?

Thanks!

Well, first of all WHM has nothing todo with what registrar you use, and 2ndly you can't actually register a subdomain with any registrar so you need to use "none" or "email" (if you want to receive an email about the registration.

OK, that one is clear. But I have another question, maybe you know the answer. Whenever I try to register a free subdomain the WHMCS doesn't allow 1 or 2 symbol names (it says "The domain you entered is not valid"). Creating it manually in Cpanel is not a problem. I wonder why is that? Is there any settings where I can change it? 3 or more symbol names work just fine, but not less.

Thank you!

• 8 years later...

Hi Gents,

I followed the steps above, but didn't get anywhere with subdomains selling.

We tried to add the subdomain as a TLD in "Domain Pricing" but the subdomain search does not work in whmcs domain search.

We also tried to add subdomain in General Settings >> Other, but then we cant' display a domain search field, pricing, and then provide the customer the option to manage "subdomain DNS Management" in his client area.

How can we automate subdomain search, provisioning, Client Area DNS management and hosting via WHMCS just as standard TLDs?

Thanks,

Frazer