Validating client information

MiKe42

I'm trying to prevent clients from having duplicate names in WHMCS because of a third-party application we use. So far I've tried adding a hook to ClientDetailsValidation but I can't prevent the data from ever being changed. For instance, check out this proof-of-concept code (it's not supposed to prevent duplicates yet):

add_hook("ClientDetailsValidation",0,"checkDuplicateNames","");

function checkDuplicateNames() {

global $errormessage;

$errormessage.="<li>Error!</li>";
}

This shows an error message, but the data is always changed. I've also tried returning false or unsetting the $_POST variables but I can't seem to prevent the user details from changing. What am I missing?

All your doing there is adding "Error!" to the $errormessage variable whether it is correct or not.

You will need to do a DB lookup on tblclients for the name that was entered and if the same as an existing then show the error.

Yes, I am aware of that. It's just test code. The problem is that I can't prevent changes, so writing the database query code right now wouldn't be of any help. I need to know what to do so I can prevent changes, because setting the error message doesn't prevent them at all. What variable do I need to change so that the new user info doesn't commit to the database?

Your looking for duplicate names, so is that not obvious?

I think I'm not getting my point across... When a client goes to the page where he can change his details, he might change his name, for instance. My function gets called because of the hook, so I have an opportunity to validate if his name is duplicated.

The problem is not finding if the name is a duplicate. The problem is how do I tell WHMCS to discard the changes the client made. I can output an error message (that's what I do in that code), but the changes to the user details are still made. Is there another global variable that I am unaware of? Maybe a "global $errors"? How do I prevent the modifications the user made from actually happening?

If I can only output an error message and not prevent the changes from happening (like it's happening now), I can't prevent duplicates in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Try changing your code from this:

add_hook("ClientDetailsValidation",0,"checkDuplicateNames","");

to this:

add_hook("ClientDetailsValidation",1,"checkDuplicateNames","");

this works for me and brings up an error message and stops the edit:

function verify_email_doesnt_exist_in_kayako($vars) {

global $errormessage;

$errormessage .= "<li>The e-mail address you have entered already exists in our system.</li>";

return false;

}

add_hook("ClientDetailsValidation",1,"verify_email_doesnt_exist_in_kayako");

• 1 year later...