PayPal IPN Not Working 27/03/2007

• WHMCS CEO

I haven't confirmed this with PayPal yet, but it appears that PayPal is having issues on their end with sending PayPal IPN Data for transactions.

The issue appears to have started on 26 March 2007 at around 3pm. Since then, no callbacks have been being made.

This will affect all paypal invoice and subscription payments through WHMCS and any other systems using PayPal IPN so I'm sure it will be resolved quickly. It is also affecting our license order system and causing PayPal orders and invoice payments to need manually marking paid so there will be delays with these at the current time.

Matt

• WHMCS CEO

Finally been able to get through to PayPal Technical Support on the phone and they have confirmed the issue is on their end. Apparently a software update yesterday has caused there to be an issue with IPN payments since then. I am told it should be fixed within the next few hours so it's a case of waiting and seeing.

This is causing an inconvenience for all of us but there is unfortunately nothing I can do about this!

Matt

• WHMCS CEO

I've been working on getting info from PayPal about this issue all day and finally have it so here's what happened for those that are interested:

At 3pm (GMT) yesterday PayPal updated their IPN system

This change didn't stop all callbacks from working but did add a new requirement

Put simply, with the PayPal IPN, they send the data to your server, you then send it back to their server to validate it came from their server in the first place and then if successful you can act on it

Ever since WHMCS was first released, this has always been sent back to "paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr......."

Turns out that yesterday, they decided to do an update that means only "www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr......." will work from now on!

Needless to say, this has caused a lot of issues for a lot of people and here's the official response from them:

Hi Matt,

We had other merchants that experienced the same issue that you are experiencing within the last 24 hours. It appears that they were missing the www in front of the paypal.com just like you. We recommended inserting the www in front of the paypal.com and it did cleared up their issue.

So, the fixed file can be downloaded here for all those sticking with V3.0.0 or earlier. For those running V3.1.0, there will be an update released for this later this evening (V3.1.1) containing bug fixes for all reported bugs to date and this update.

PayPal Callback Fix for those running V3.0.0 or Below

Matt